How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Financial Software
Satisfied Customers: 4674
Experience:  Have used almost every software package available.
Type Your Financial Software Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Having a week ago mailed in my 2013 taxes, I am right now

Customer Question

Having a week ago mailed in my 2013 taxes, I am right now doing them for 2014. I am in the middle of deductions and for some reason (I have never before been asked to do this) I keep getting something that wants me to fill in address, zip code, phone number & license number for my mortgage lender and fill in my EIN # ***** the mortgage. Because the papers I had saved for doing my taxes with got lost in a move, I have instead had to phone every agency involved with my mortgages, electric bills, property taxes and what have you to get the figures applicable to 2014. I have the amount involved, which is all I have ever before been asked for, but I don't have the information that would, I presume, be on the form that the mortgage lender would have sent to me but which got lost. I would like just to fill out the amount and move forward, but I can't even open up my partially finished return but it ALWAYS takes me right back to the form asking for all this info about the mortgage lender, and there I am STUCK, as it won't move forward or in any direction until I engter this information. It took me HOURS and HOURS of phone calls and waiting on line to get the info about the interest I paid from my 2 mortgage lenders, and I am not going to go back and try to track down all this extraneous information now! I just want to be let out of this repetitive cycle and finish my taxes! Please help me do this!
2nd question: For 2014, I traveled to and spent 6 weeks in Bosnia, Croatia and serbia gathering information for the research I do. I am thus going to be claiming a larger than usual deduction for travel expenses (2106). I would like to be able to put a sheet of information/stats into my 1040 that shows the number of days in Bosnia, in different cities in Croatia, etc., and shows that I have deducted the gsa standard amount per city. Without having some kind of information in there to explain the jump in my employee business expeses, I'm afraid it will look odd to the iRS and they will audit me. How can I do this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

Your two questions:

Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

1. Tax software is set up for you to use the 1098 form from your mortgage lender (lets IRS match up your figures with those reported by the bank). If you don't have that information, the easiest thing to do is not enter it. Just override the mortgage interest figure for Schedule A.

If you can't, and need those figures, IRS now allows you to ask for a tax transcript directly from them (, it's right on the main page). That will give you the name, ID#, and address. They recently had issues with hacking, so the online access is being worked on, but the access is there. You can get this online, by mail, or call IRS and get the information over the phone.

Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

2. There are a few travel expenses issues you don't have the required records for. First, fear of audit is likely pretty low for overseas travel. You likely have passport, plane tickets, or other proof you were overseas and working. 2106 is for employee business expenses, so you should be claiming expenses reported to your employer.

You can add a supporting schedule showing the days overseas, and expenses you are claiming. If the travel costs are substantial in relation to your return income, it is likely IRS desk review will look at your attachment and approve it right then and there, with little to no future audit risk.

Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.