Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

I have been TaxAct user, many years now. I paid

Customer Question

I have been TaxAct user for many, many years now. I paid for and electronically filed my step-son's taxes for 2014 in the State of Virginia. He recently discovered that they never received his return at the state level. It was sent OK to the federal level. I know I paid you and thought it was sent, but apparently it never happened. If he has late filing charges, then TaxAct should be responsible for these charges. But first, I would like to know what happened to his return. My account number is ***** Please let me know what you find out. Thank you. XXXXXX
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 2 years ago.

please understand we are not taxact and i have no direct access to your taxact information

We are experts at dealing with things like computers and taxes and software. I can show you what to do but i can not do it for you.

2 things pop out at me immediately

first taxact charges a 9.99 fee to file a state return. If you have some proof that you paid that than any action against taxact would have a much better chance of succeeding. You might even get the state to drop any penalties if you can show that you filed with them in good faith. Its even possible the state is the one that screwed up rather than taxact.

second. please go to this webpage and fill it in and that should show you what taxact thinks you did. If that shows no data on a state return than either they lost it or you never filed it. Again showing that you paid the fee goes a way towards proving that you did file it.

https://www.taxact.com/secure_ef/efile-center.asp

But lets see what they have in their records before we decide the next step