Financial Software

Financial software questions? Ask IT support for answers ASAP

Using Quick Books Pro 2014. Tried to do payroll tonight for…

Customer Question
Using Quick Books Pro 2014...
Using Quick Books Pro 2014. Tried to do payroll tonight for my 2 employees and after entering all times and pay rates, it calculated their paychecks but didnt subtrack taxes and stuff from their paychecks, nor did it charge my side of theequation for employers SSN and dumb taxes and stuff. Ive been using this all year and this is the first time it has happened. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Financial Software
Answered in 1 day by:
6/16/2015
Tech Support Rep: Angie Russell, Bookkeeper replied 2 years ago
Angie Russell
Angie Russell, Bookkeeper
Hi, thanks for your question. I hope I am able to help you figure out what the issue is.
The only time I have ever seen this happen is either when the payroll subscription has expired or if a payroll update is mandatory and must be done before it will let you do payroll.

If your subscription has expired, you must renew through quickbooks. There should be links or pop-ups that you can click on that will allow you to do this.

If an update is required, use the following steps.

Across the top of your QB window, where it shows file, edit, view, lists, etc...
Click on "employees"
Go to "Get Payroll Update"
A box will appear with update information. Click the box beside where it says "Download only changes..."
and then click the "update" button to the right.

Hope this helps

That does help. And there was an update that QB kept saying I needed but when I tried to download it the program froze and in had to control alt, delete and close everything and start over. I will try your instructions tonight

Ok... sometimes when you can't do the update correctly, you can search your computer for the "paysub.ini" file... when you find it, right click on it and click "rename" and rename it to paysub.old

The next time you open quickbooks it will automatically re-create that file and allow you to complete the update.

Tried your last suggestion and renamed the file, no bueno. Tried the first suggestion and downloaded whatever update from that screen, no bueno. When I go into "pay employees ", and click either "start" or "resume scheduled payroll", I get the screen wanting me to install a payroll update that Quick books supposedly "successfully downloaded " to my computer. When I click Yes, I get a screen saying the file specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not currently being used by another program or a read only file." "The windows error was 'The File Exists.'". When I click OK, it briefly flashed a screen that appears to say it's downloading and has a task bar showing 99% downloaded. Then I can't close QB or that window, have to control alt delete it.

Ok, now I tried downloading not just the changes you suggested in the first email, but I clicked the next button and downloaded all. Now I no longer get the error messages in pay employees, but their paychecks still don't have any taxes taken out

You won't be able to "resume payroll"....that payroll has been started with no taxes coming out. You will need to either delete those checks or "start unscheduled payroll" to get a fresh payroll started. Taxes should be calculated on the new payroll.

If that doesn't solve the issue, I will opt out so another expert may give you addition advice.

No, didn't fix problem. Had to call Intuit tech;support. Thanks anyway

Angie Russell
Angie Russell
Angie Russell, Bookkeeper