Financial Software

Financial software questions? Ask IT support for answers ASAP

my quicken software is hanging up when I tried to update my…

my quicken software is hanging...
my quicken software is hanging up when I tried to update my reminders. it is keeping me from doing anything else online. I have version 2009 and running Vista on my Dell laptop. I do not want to update as I do not want to download info from my bank accounts nor do I need any apps for portable devices.
12/20/2013
Robert M., Consultant

Robert M. :

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your financial software question.

Robert M. :

try this first

Robert M. :

go to file / file operations / validate

Robert M. :

let me know if that works or if not please give me more information on exactly what you are doing and exactly what error message you get when you do it. thanks

Customer:

I opened the file and went to validate, but the file is empty. No message. What is supposed to happen. I'm hesitant to try to "manage my reminders" since that is what's causing the problem. I don't get an error message, just that little blue circle and the screen gets pale and I can't close anything, so finally I just re-boot it if I can. Sometimes I have to just shut down and restart again. I've only encountered this problem with the Quicken software, everything else seems to be working okay. CR

when you do the validate it should tell you that it is checking the file and if there are any errors and it will try to fix them

The only problem you have is if you go to manage reminders it just kind of freezes up and you keep getting the spinny circle thing ?

sorry, the folder is empty. it's not checking anything. the only problem I have is that spinny circle thing. I'm busy now but will recheck later on. I don't want to take a chance on everything hanging up again, since I'm in the middle of a couple of things. Thanks, CR

You mean there is no menu option under it or it takes you to a windows folder to select the file to validate and there is nothing in that folder ?

anyway post in whenever you have a chance to work on it. I am not always online but usually I am here most of the time between noon and 8 pm central time. As soon as I see that you posted I will answer you.

thanks

Yes, when I go to the operations validate windows folder, there is nothing in the folder to validate. Thanks, CR

go to file / save a copy as

save it someplace you can get to it easily

with a name you can remember

then do the validate and browse to the folder where you saved the file and validate that file

then go to file / open

again browse to the file you created and validated and open that.

it should be a repaired version of your normal file

Robert M., Consultant

that worked fine and it validated the new copy. However, when I went into the reminders file to edit my reminder, I am not able to do that and it again hangs up with the screen going pale and my task manager saying program not responding. I chose end task and it closed the Quicken file, finally.

This is an old version of Quicken 2009 and I would purchase a new one, but I do not want to have to deal with all the downloading and online options, I'm just not interested in doing that. Just want to keep track of my accounts and reconcile my checkbook at the end of the month. Also, at the end of the year, I use it to print out a spending report of all the tax-related categories, so I don't want to do anything to endanger that data.

CR

You have a couple of options

1. You can upgrade and it should read your old data and in no way is it required to download transactions or do any of the other advanced features ( many of which are available but optional in the 2009 )

2. You can try re installing the quicken 2009 from a download or disk. you should be able to open the file that we created above the same way that you did before so you wont lose your data.

3. You can try loading a backup file and see if it has the same issues.

Were you able to run the validate on the new file and open it ? That appears to be the only answer for this problem that I can find to even attempt from intuit.

Robert,

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try running a backup copy as I always backup when I close out. Yes the validation of the copy I saved worked and all seemed to be okay.

I'll get back to you and let you know how it works out. Thanks, again. CR

Ok if you open the copy that you validated with file / open

does that still give you the error on manage reminders ?

if it does than most likely it is a problem with the program itself and it would have to be re installed