Financial Software

Financial software questions? Ask IT support for answers ASAP

quicken data files for financial info will not recognize my…

quicken data files for financial...
quicken data files for financial info will not recognize my password
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/11/2013
Robert M., Consultant

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your financial software question.

Quicken uses many passwords. which one are you having a problem with

there is a password XXXXX the intuit website which is needed for registering purchasing and downloading the actual quicken program.

to find that out or have it reset

go to http://www.quicken.com/ click the login button on top. the id will be your email address. You can click the lost password XXXXX to get your password XXXXX once in you can change it under account management

there is a password XXXXX start the quicken program itself. This option is normally defaulted to none. It can be set or changed from within the quicken program by going to

edit / preferences / quicken / startup tab. under start up options

If you do not know that password XXXXX need to reinstall the quicken software.

There can be a password XXXXX open a particular quicken data file. or to modify it ( seperate passwords ) Those can be set from the file menu within quicken. (if you do not know those passwords you need to use the password XXXXX tool which requires you to know the intuit website password XXXXX above )

You can get that tool on this page

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/quicken-data-file-password-removal-tool/GEN83204.html

There are also id's and passwords required to download transactions from your bank. These passwords are set by the bank and you need to log into the banks website to change or recover them. Quicken can store them for you and if they need to be changed in quicken to match a new bank password XXXXX do that from within quicken under tools / password XXXXX

In general with passwords it is recomended to have a "secure" password XXXXX these days is defined as at least 8 characters at least 1 Cap at least one non cap letter and at least 1 symbol or number

This, along with the other methods I have tried, did not work. The password XXXXX I use worked great until 3-4 days ago. I updated information in my checking account information. A day later I attempted to continue my update and that was when my password XXXXX not work.

to help you further I need to know exactly WHICH password XXXXX is that is not working

is it the password XXXXX do a download or the password XXXXX open the quicken file ?

did you try the password XXXXX tool that I gave you the link to ?

if it is a problem downloading from your bank have you tried to see if you can get into the banks website directly using that password ?

if you are having trouble downloading from the bank try these instructions

first go to the bank/financial institution's website
make sure that you can sign in and access the correct account using the id and password XXXXX you have

then open quicken

go to tools / account list

edit account details

under online services tab

click remove from one step update
under details tab

re enter the bank name making sure to select the correct one from the list that quicken provides as you start to type the name. If the bank has more than 1 entry it is impossible to tell which is correct as they dont really relate to anything real. They are how quicken interpreted the names that the bank used internally and supplied them. You just have to try them all.

also check the account and/or routing number

close the box close quicken reboot the computer

open quicken

go to tools / account list

edit account details

under online services tab

click set up one step update / web access

go through all of the prompts to enter they type of account the name of the bank etc

put in the user id and password XXXXX

that redoes the entire quicken connection which seems to work a lot better then just playing with the password

Robert M., Consultant