Financial Software

Financial Software Questions? Ask IT Support for Answers ASAP

Financial Software

I use Quickbooks software. I have one bank account with the

I use Quickbooks software....
I use Quickbooks software. I have one bank account with the credit union but have a savings account of $25 to be able to use the checking account. The problem is how I set the two accounts up, if I make a deposit in the checking account it also registers in the saving account and so it looks like I have twice as much money. Any way it needs some restructuring. Could someone tell me how to set this up so each account at the same bank stay separate?
11/15/2013
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Accountant

R. Klein, EA :

Leroy:

R. Klein, EA :

Thanks for your question today.

R. Klein, EA :

You should set up your QuickBooks so that the two accounts are completely independent of each other. It sounds like you have one account as a SUBaccount of the other.

Customer:

thanks for helping

Customer:

yes that's what I did

R. Klein, EA :

They are not sub accounts. A sub account will always "total up" to the main account.

R. Klein, EA :

You can edit the sub account and remove the Sub account checkbox.

Customer:

could you tell me the steps to undo them

R. Klein, EA :

Open the chart of accounts (CTRL-A)

Customer:

I don't do this very often - as you can see. Okay

R. Klein, EA :

right click on the sub account name. Click edit

R. Klein, EA :

Under the account name is XXXXX XXXXX that says Sub account. Take the X out of the box

Customer:

Okay

R. Klein, EA :

That makes it a separate account

Customer:

So now I go back and delete all the transactions except the $25 deposit?

R. Klein, EA :

If there are transactions in the savings account, you will need to move them so that they are ONLY in the checking account.

Customer:

Okay, I think I understand. Thank you so much. I'd be here all afternoon pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. You've been very helpful.

R. Klein, EA :

Do move a single transaction, go to the transaction in the register, click CTRL-O to copy the transaction. Then go to the other account and go to a new transaction line and use CTRL-V to paste.

R. Klein, EA :

Then you can go back to delete the duplicate transaction.

R. Klein, EA :

OK good luck. If you need more help just ask!

R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Accountant
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Accountant