How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask R. Klein, EA Your Own Question
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Accountant
Category: Financial Software
Satisfied Customers: 3375
Experience:  A member of the Intuit Ask a Tax Expert team and 10 years as QuickBooks Certified Pro Advisor.
Type Your Financial Software Question Here...
R. Klein, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When HST is paid manually, ie not through the Quickbooks online

Customer Question

When HST is paid manually, ie not through the Quickbooks online Sales Tax tab, the cheque written shows up as unassigned. I have not been able to fix it through the resolve tab. What do you suggest ?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your financial software question.


If you do not want quickbooks to calculate and track the hst you are going to have to create a liablilty account for it and use that to balance the check that you write.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do in the future but I am trying to resolve the issues from the past.

How do I resolve the cheques written to CRA to pay

HST that are showing up as unassigned ?

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

The simplest way to do it is create the government as a vender and issue a "tax invoice" for the full amount and then credit the checks you wrote against that tax invoice.



Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. But when I try to post it to the HST account it tells me it will create an inaccurate tax report. Also what do I put in the tax code section "E" ?

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

Well it is going to tell you that it is inaccurate because it thinks you are paying too much tax as you don't show the tax on your invoices.


I really don't know what goes in the E section a I am more of a program expert than a tax expert or a cpa especially for Canada. If you want I can opt out and let one of the cpa's help you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That did not work. It still shows up as an unassigned amount because when posting to the HST account the program will not allow a tax code to be assigned.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

then you will have to do it with a ledger entry and I am going to let one of the cpa type people work on that with you.



Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks.

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 3 years ago.


I’m Rachel, and I’m moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I still need help.


Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 3 years ago.


Thank you, we will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.



Expert:  R. Klein, EA replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I will try to assist you on this sales tax issue today.

The best way to deal with this type of incorrect payments is to literally back out the wrong payments and go through the process properly. My list below actually does this in a slightly reverse order, since it will be easier to do.

Step 1. Pay the first month's or quarter's tax payment through QuickBooks the way it was supposed to be done. That means going into the sales tax feature. Usually this is found on the main menu under VENDORS, then Sales Tax, then Pay Sales Tax. If you have been accumulating sales tax, there should be amounts in here that have not been cleared off even though you wrote cheques to the tax agency already. The liabilities are not cleared. Make the payments physical cheques not online payments even if you have the option. Do this separately for each period, one by one. Make sure you only pay the amount for that one period each time and not for ALL sales tax that you collected in total.

Step 2. The new cheques will be in your register ready to print. Go through the register and find the WRONG cheques and copy those cheque numbers to the newly created cheques. Now you should have 2 cheques for the SAME amounts near each other in the register. One is cleared, the new ones are NOT cleared.

Step 3. Go through each of the cheques for the tax agency and DELETE the OLD ones ONLY.

Step 4. When all wrong cheques have been removed, you will now need to REDO the most RECENT reconciliation of your bank account. When you start the reconciliation, use the same date you did most recently. Don't try to do a new reconciliation yet. What you are trying to do is to get the account back to where it was at the end of the last reconciliation. When you start the reconciliation, the ENDING balance should be the same as what it was before. When you start this process, your reconciliation should be off by exactly the total of all the cheques you just deleted in Step 3 above. Now go through and mark as CLEARED all the NEW cheques. If you do this right, your account will be back in balance and you can save and close out the reconciliation. You now can continue forward and use the proper tax payment method in the future.

I hope this helps you straighten this out. Yes, it may take awhile if you have done it wrong for several years.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You are right this will take awhile. I inherited this problem when I started

this job and only found out when paying the quarterly payments . I will let you know if it works for me when I am done. Thanks.

Expert:  R. Klein, EA replied 3 years ago.
OK. Just write back if there is a problem. If I have resolved your issue, won't you please take a moment to rate my answer. You will be rating only my answer and not the prior expert's attempts. Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I have resolved the issue I will be happy to do the rating .

Expert:  R. Klein, EA replied 3 years ago.
OK. No need for you to respond right now. If I do not respond, the question will stay in the incoming queue.

Related Financial Software Questions