Financial Software

Financial Software Questions? Ask IT Support for Answers ASAP

Financial Software

Hello, I am using Turbo Tax for a 2011 business return. I

Hello, I am using Turbo...
Hello, I am using Turbo Tax for a 2011 business return. I think there is a bug in TT for Fed Section 179 carried over to California form 3885A. Using rounded figures, can someone confirm the information below for my 3885A Worksheet?

Line1: Max dollar amt for California $25,000
Line2: Total cost of section 179 property placed in svc: $50,000 (from 4562)
Line3: Threshold before limitation
Line4: Reduction in limitation (I have none, this is a first year biz)
Line5: Dollar limitation for California $25,000
Line6: Business Activity
b-cost c-elected cost
2011 Med Duty Truck $20,000 $20,000
2010 Med Duty Truck $20,000 $0 ($20,000 CA depreciated)
2010 Stakebed Truck $15,000 $4,500 ($10,500 CA depreciated)
(totals from Line 6 Form 4562 fed)
Line7: Listed property Sec 179: $500 (from line 26&27 Fed)
Line8: Total elected cost of Sec 179: $25,000
Line9: Tentative deduction $25,000
Line10: Carryover allowed zero
Line11: Enter smaller of biz income or line5: $25,000
Line12: Section 179 ded for Calif line9&10: $25,000

Summary, I am getting $24,500 & $500 (listed property) section 179 for the State return and $30,500 of non-used California Section 179 is to be depreciated?

Thanks!!
8/24/2013
DanielleCPA
Welcome and thanks for your question!

It appears that there is an error in your numbers somewhere - e.g. you state there was $50,000 in property placed in service but the assets you list total $55,000. You also list $24,500 + $500 + $30,500 which equals $55,500. What should the total assets be?

Oh boy..haha...I rechecked my figures, I did make a mistake hopefully this makes more sense.

Purchased veh #1 $20k, veh #2 $20k, veh #3 $15k

I have new (used equip) 2011 vehicle purchases of $55,000.

I am claiming $55,000* Section 179 on my Federal.

*$20k + $20k + $15k = $55,000

I have $500 in Section 179 for a listed vehicle (personal & business)

I am claiming $25,000** (the limit) Section 179 on my State

**$20k + 0 + $4,500k = $24,500 PLUS the $500 above for listed

vehicle.

Therefore, for the State I will be taking $25k in Section 179......

I will depreciate vehicle #2 for $20 (no section 179 already taken) and

depreciate vehicle #3 for $10,500 ($4,500 section 179 already taken).

I hope that makes sense...I will come back online tomorrow...thank you!!!

You're welcome.

The new numbers that you have posted make more sense.

One thing that still looks off to me - depreciate vehicle #3 for $10,000 not $10,500. You have already taken $5,000 section 179 on that asset- $500 + $4,500.

Otherwise, the information that you posted above looks accurate to me. Please let me know if you how this works out once you come back tomorrow.
DanielleCPA

thank you so much...looking at figures all day and it's all becoming a blur, thanks for the clarification, I appreciate so much. Wonderful service.

You're welcome! I'm so glad that I could be of assistance to you.
DanielleCPA
DanielleCPA
DanielleCPA, CPA