Financial Software

Financial Software Questions? Ask IT Support for Answers ASAP

Financial Software

Ive amassed approximately 15,000 investment transactions over

I've amassed approximately 15,000 investment...
I've amassed approximately 15,000 investment transactions over 15 years and Quicken Premier has slowed to a crawl. Whats the best way to speed up the program?
7/7/2013
Robert M., Consultant
that is going to be tough. Unfortuanetely quickens archive program does NOT remove investment transactions. Only banking transactions are actually removed in the year end archive routine.

you CAN create a totally new file and start fresh or you might even be able to export say 2 years of transactions to a qif file and then import only those transactions to the new file. The year end closing wont do it though. Try the export and then go to file / new and create a totally blank new file and then import the qif file.

Or you can manually delete them

or get a much faster computer with a faster drive.

Or you might try doing a validate on the file. if there is some sort of file error slowing it down rather than just sheer volume that would help
file / file operations / validate.

I've already switched to a SSD which helped a bit. I'll try exporting 2 years worth of data and get back to you...

Alan

ok let me know if it works.

waiting for the file to export now...

i havent used it in a while but i thought there was a way to tell it which transactions to export. If not than you are going to wind up with the same problem over again as it will just export and import all of them again. Although you might be able to pull the qif file up in something like excel and delete them a lot easier than you could in quicken before you import it.

it allowed me to tell it what date to use to start exporting transactions... assuming that it accepts the date and maintains the current position information it should work... still waiting...

ok that is promising than. let me know when its finished please

The first attempt at exporting file didnt work... when i went to look for the file in my folder it was there but when i went to open it or look for the file in quicken it wasnt on the list....

you have to create a new data file in quicken
file / new
* make sure that you know the name of the old file to get it back when you want it *

then go to
file / import / qif
and browse to where you saved the exported file.

let me try it...

ok i am out of here for a half hour or so. post back when you have tried it and i will answer as soon as i am back :)

OK...

did you get anywhere with it ?

Frankly I'm not sure.... it seems to be doing the QIF import but the only way I can tell is looking at the balances on the account list. It's still processing though so I'm hopeful.... Though I never used it I suddenly realize how important it was having Microsoft Money around as a competitor to Intuit.... This is ridiculous. Everyone I know that has Quicken complains about the speed while Intuits yearly update of Quicken is a joke...

That seems to be the entire trend in the industry. Though to be honest it is usually microsoft that is crushing competition and using its power with operating systems to force people to use their software as well.

Its also the trend to keep making programs larger and prettier and easier for idiots to use rather than steam lined and productive and flexible. The investment thing has always been a "bug" with quicken as they just dont expect people to have so many transactions on it that they need to delete any.

sounds like either poor architecting when they were creating the program or pure arrogance... Quicken can take a while to process things on my laptop. If you want I'll let you go and give you a high rating provided I can shoot you an email if I can into trouble while I'm trying this....

Alan

That would be fine. I will hold the question open and just post back in here and i will continue to help until you are happy even after you rate me. :)
Robert M., Consultant
Robert M., Consultant