Financial Software

I am trying to transfer my quicken date from one computer to…

I am trying to transfer...
I am trying to transfer my quicken date from one computer to the other, same program, same version. have tried to copy date (export) to a disk and to a flash drive, neither will take the date. transferring from a laptop to a desk tower. Was able to transfer the first time from the desk top to the laptop, but now cannot reverse.... Read full answer
I am trying to transfer my quicken date from one computer to the other, same program, same version. have tried to copy date (export) to a disk and to a flash drive, neither will take the date. transferring from a laptop to a desk tower. Was able to transfer the first time from the desk top to the laptop, but now cannot reverse.
5/1/2013
Robert M., Consultant

on the old computer

open quicken with the file you want to transfer

go to

file /file operations / validate. ( this makes sure that you have a good file )

go to

file / save a copy as

save it to a flash drive with a name you recognize

move that flash drive to the new computer

copy the file that you saved to my documents on the c drive of the new computer

open the quicken on the new computer

on the help menu make sure that it is updated to the latest release of that version

go to

file / open

browse to my documents and select the file that you copied over

it should open right up.

so far, unable to enter data into 2nd computer/ don loaded ok from laptop.

i will give you the instructions again. Please tell me at EXACTLY what point you are unable to follow which instruction.

and what version of quicken it is please.

on the old computer
go to
go to
file / save a copy as

open the quicken on the new computer
go to
file / open
it should open right up.

have downloaded from old computer (laptop) to disk. placed disk in new computer (desk top) cannot find, not sure it downloaded. When I find a file with the name I gave, cannot download

please FOLLOW MY INSTRUCTIONS one by one

and tell me at exactly what point you cant continue because if you had followed MY instructions it would have told you exactly where to copy it to and so it would be easy to find. And please dont use terms like download because you are not downloading you are copying and it just makes it more confusing.

on the old computer
go to
go to
file / save a copy as

open the quicken on the new computer
go to
file / open
it should open right up.

just going to give up, use the laptop for my quicken program. Cannot get old comp to copy to disk this morning, thanks anyway. Have copied your instructions and when a daughter in law comes who knows computers will let her try.

Thanks for your help.

the easiest way to do it is with a usb flash drive they cost under 10 bucks at walmart or any place that sells computer supplies.

If you show my instructions to your daughter in law I am sure she will be able to do it in a few minutes. I will be happy to work with her if she has any problems or questions.

Its not the easiest or the best way but another way that might be easier for you would be to go to file / backup restore

and back up onto a disk or flash drive and then restore the file to the new quicken using

file / backup restore / restore

and restoring from the flash drive or disk that you created the backup file on

Robert M., Consultant
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have been using an older tower comouter to do my prior
I have been using an older tower comouter to do my prior taxes but now want to use my desk top. How do I transfer my 2016 return from one to another? Need a step by step. I tried this once before and … read more
I have an old Windows XP desktop and a new Windows 8 laptop.
I have an old Windows XP desktop and a new Windows 8 laptop. I have Quick Books Pro 2006 on the old one and QuickbooksPro 2014 on the new one. I need to transfer my old 2006 company files into the new… read more
Consultant,
I have had to reload my Quicken Home and Business 2004. I track
I have had to reload my Quicken Home and Business 2004. I track three business account. Two of the accounts will not open after restoring them from backup. When I pull-down the file menu I see all thr… read more
Consultant,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a USB Flash drive in my computer for my Quicken account.
I have a USB Flash drive in my computer for my Quicken account. When I inserted it into my Lap Top nothing came on to the lap top. What should I do?… read more
Consultant,
I have quicken 2007 on 2 computers, one with Windows XP and
I have quicken 2007 on 2 computers, one with Windows XP and the others with Windows 7. The XP fives me no problem but when I try to save the files in Windows 7 I get the message "Cant write to disk E"… read more
Consultant,
I need to pull out some data from a Quicken deluxe 2000 program
I need to pull out some data from a Quicken deluxe 2000 program running on Windows 95. It is unlikly that I will be able to complete this work before I have to register the program. Quicken can't or w… read more
financeguru2
financeguru2
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a new laptop computer. Have downloaded my desk top
I have a new laptop computer. Have downloaded my desk top quicken file on a cd. When I try to up-load to the laptop, I have not been able to, states, cannot load directly to quicken, but sends me to d… read more
Consultant,
I have an older version of Quicken Rental Property. I am trying
I have an older version of Quicken Rental Property. I am trying to use a portable storage device that was created on a computer that I no longer have, but is the same version of operating system. The … read more
DrQuickBooksnQuicken
DrQuickBooksnQuicken
Chief Software Trainer and President,
I presently have Quicken Premier 2012 fully installed on my
I presently have Quicken Premier 2012 fully installed on my desktop with all my accounts. How do I install it on my laptop and keep it synchronized??… read more
DrQuickBooksnQuicken
DrQuickBooksnQuicken
Chief Software Trainer and President,
I bought a new hp computer with windows 7. my old computer
I bought a new hp computer with windows 7. my old computer was xp upgrade 2. my old computer failed and would not start up. I downloaded documents including quicken 2010 files on a portable disk disk … read more
DrQuickBooksnQuicken
DrQuickBooksnQuicken
Chief Software Trainer and President,
I was in contact with Viet this weekend and he helped fix a
I was in contact with Viet this weekend and he helped fix a problem no one else could. I would like to use him again if possible. My problem: I have Intuit Point of Sales program on one laptop (Window… read more
I am using quicken 2003. I backed up my data from my desktop
I am using quicken 2003. I backed up my data from my desktop to a flash drive and want to restore it to my laptop. The flashdrive on the laptop is in drive "E", but when I go to "restore", I am only g… read more
Consultant,
Stop searching for answers—
Im migrating from an old desktop pc running Win 98 and Quicken
I'm migrating from an old desktop pc running Win 98 and Quicken 2006 to a laptop running Win Vista and Quicken 2011. The only removable media on my desktop is 3.5 in diskettes, which I use to backup m… read more
Consultant,
Purchased a new Toshiba laptop. When I try to download changes
Purchased a new Toshiba laptop. When I try to download changes (financial) changes I make on my desk top (vista)(Quicken 2008) to a flashdrive and then up load the changes to the Toshia laptop I get r… read more
Consultant,
Incident#101024-001271 I am trying to transfer my information
Incident#101024-001271 I am trying to transfer my information from my laptop to my desktop. I have the Quicken 2010 starter program installed on both computers. I hope and pray it is on a flash drive.… read more
Consultant,
I have QuickBooks Basic 2005. It was working fine when I had
I have QuickBooks Basic 2005. It was working fine when I had to have my laptop serviced and 'scrubbed'. Now, when I try to re-install it, it tells me that I need Flash Player 7. I downloaded Flash Pla… read more
Consultant,
How do I transfer transactions from one computer to another
How do I transfer transactions from one computer to another without overwriting on the receiving computer. The from Computer is a desk top using Windows XP The receiving computer is a desk top using W… read more
Consultant,
hi my desk computor was acting up so i restored but did it
hi my desk computor was acting up so i restored but did it wrong and restored it back to when i purchased it 2004 loss all my quicken too tower to best buy and them made me a disk but i can't fiqure o… read more