Financial Software

Financial software questions? Ask IT support for answers ASAP

Quickbooks will not update; says that its not fully configured…

Quickbooks will not update; says...
Quickbooks will not update; says that it's not fully configured with error 15103
8/8/2012
jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent

Greetings,

As you may have experienced, there are often several different solutions to the same problem and this first try may or may not be what you need so please reply to let me know what happened.

There is a reboot file you can run as the quickest way to try to fix the error.

How to run reboot.bat to register QuickBooks files in Microsoft Windows:

1. Open the folder containing the reboot.bat file:
    • Windows 7 or Vista: Right-click the QuickBooks icon on your desktop and select Open file location.
    • Window XP:
      1. Right-click the QuickBooks icon on your desktop and select Properties.
      2. Click Find Target.
  2. Double-click the reboot.bat file.

Note: Depending on whether your Windows Folder Options are set to show or hide extensions for known file types, the file may display as reboot.bat or reboot.

Please let me know:

Did you find and run the reboot.bat file ?

Did it resolve your issue (can you update after running the file) ?

Thanks.

Did not find reboot.bat file, only reboot file.

Hello again,

That is the right file, just that your machine is not set to show the extension (.bat part).

Did you run the reboot file (by double clicking)?

Thanks

I did run the file and I still can not update from Quickbooks.
I will have to leave it to another expert to try another method, thanks.
PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Welcome to the site. John asked me to pick up for him.

Intuit has a solution tableau for this error code, which starts with the reboot.bat repair John recommended, and you tried. It didn't work, so now on to the other steps. You did not report which Windows OS you are using, so I will report for both XP and 7.

http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Articles/SLN41476 is the link to the solution tableau. I will reproduce it here:

Errors: 15103, 15104, 15105, 15106, and 15107 when installing an update

One of the following errors occurs when installing a QuickBooks update:
15103 or 15106 The update program is not fully configured
15104 The update program is missing
15105 The update program's version could not be read
15107 The update program cannot be initialized

Why this is happening

These errors are generally caused by:
Damaged QuickBooks registry entries resulting from the use of a Windows Registry cleaner
A damaged QuickBooks update

How to fix it

Intuit recommends 4 solutions for this problem. The first solution may solve your problem, or you may need to try all of them to resolve the issue. For best results, perform the solutions in the order shown.

Solution 1: Run the Reboot.Bat utility.

Solution 2: Repair QuickBooks (the link is http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Articles/HOW12637. The steps follow:

Repair QuickBooks

Repairing an existing QuickBooks installation helps resolve errors you encounter while installing or using QuickBooks.
Detailed Instructions

To repair an existing QuickBooks installation, make sure QuickBooks is not running and then follow the steps for your operating system:

Windows 7 or Vista

Click the Windows Start button and select Control Panel.
In the Control Panel, click on Programs.
In Programs, click on Programs and Features.
In Program and Features, select QuickBooks.
Once QuickBooks is selected, click Uninstall/Change.
In the QuickBooks Installation window, click Next, select the Repair radio button, click Next, click Repair.
Click Finish. Your installation of QuickBooks should now be repaired.
Windows XP

Click the Start button and select Control Panel.
Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
Select QuickBooks, and then click Change/Remove.
Click Finish. Your installation of QuickBooks should now be repaired

Solution 3: Delete and Download the Update.

Close QuickBooks.
Rename the DownloadQBxx folder DownloadQBxx.OLD, where xx is the number for your version of QuickBooks:
QuickBooks 2007 and later with Windows 7 or Windows Vista: The DownloadQBxx folder is located in C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]\Components\DownloadQBxx
QuickBooks 2007 and later with Windows XP: The DownloadQBxx folder is located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]\Components.
QuickBooks 2006 and earlier: The DownloadQBxx folder is located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks.
Open QuickBooks.
Select the Help menu and select Update QuickBooks.
Click the Update Now tab.
Select the Reset the updates checkbox.
Click the Get Updates button to download the updates again. This may take a few minutes.
Once the updates are downloaded, close QuickBooks and open it again.
Click the Install Now button in the QuickBooks Update Service window to install the update.
Solution 3:Uninstall and Reinstall QuickBooks.

Uninstall and reinstall Quickbooks and its installation files (Clean Install)
Open QuickBooks.
Download and install the updates.

Expert again...to summarize, the repair steps, in order, are: restore from a backup(didn't work), try to insure you have a solid QB installation, delete and repair the update, then uninstall/reinstall quickbooks.

Please advise if you need additional support. Thanks for asking at Just Answer.
Positive feedback closes the question allows me credit for assisting today.

I don't understand some of your repair options. I did try to repair QB but it's also missing files with error 1334: file Ilxact3res.dll and error 1712: one or more files required to restore computer to previous state could not be found. Restoration will not be possible.

I'm thinking I should call and talk to support.

Error 1334 assistance from Intuit:

http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Articles/SLN41925

Error 1334: The file [filename] cannot be installed because it cannot be found in the cabinet file [filename]

When updating QuickBooks or repairing a QuickBooks installation, you receive the error:

Error 1334: The file [filename] cannot be installed because it cannot be found in the cabinet file [filename].

Why this is happening

This error may be caused by a missing or damaged file.
How to fix it
If you are using QuickBooks

Intuit recommends 3 solutions for this problem. Try solution 1 or 2, depending on when you encountered the problem. If that doesn't work, try solution 3.
Solution 1: If you get the error while launching or opening QuickBooks

Estimated time: 5 minutes
Find and open your QuickBooks company file. It has the file extension .qbw.
Double-click the company.qbw file.
Solution 2: If you get the error when updating or installing QuickBooks

Estimated time: 30 minutes

You must uninstall and then reinstall QuickBooks either from the full download or from your installation CD.
Uninstall QuickBooks.
Download the latest release for your version of QuickBooks.
Install QuickBooks.
Start QuickBooks.
If the error persists after trying solution 1 or 2, or if you are unable to access the full download, try solution 3.
Solution 3: Replace the Data1.cab file from the installation CD

Estimated time: 15 minutes

Note: If you do not have an installation CD, you can order a replacement CD.
Insert the QuickBooks installation CD into your drive. If the installation window automatically opens, close it.
Right-click the Windows Start button and select Explore. (In Windows 7 select Open Windows Explorer.)
Select the CD drive and open it (usually the D: drive).
Open the QBooks folder on the CD.
Right-click the Data1.cab file and choose Copy.
Note: If you see only Data1, that's OK. You have the option turned on to hide file extensions on your operating system.
Open the QuickBooks installation folder: C:\Program Files\Intuit.
Open the Components folder.
Open the PConfig folder.
Right-click the Data1.cab file, choose Rename, and enter Data1.old as the new file name.
Right-click in the PConfig folder and choose Paste to put the new Data1.cab file that you copied in step 5 into the folder.
Start QuickBooks.

The 1712 error is a fatal error code, and I could not find suitable assistance for you.

If you have viable backups, either from windows or QuickBooks, restoration of an backup is your best bet before contacting Intuit. Ask if you need assistance opening or utilizing the backup routines for either.

Good luck and thanks for asking Just Answer.
PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
I see you rated my response as bad service. I would appreciate you reconsidering as we are judged on the quality of our responses.

Your original question was addressed, then you added 2 more error codes. I looked them up as well, found the solution for one of them, and offered a workaround to try and get you to a place before your update went bad. You may have to go to Intuit for support, but that doesn't mean the work and effort you received should be rated as bad.

Please review my responses, and reconsider your rating.