Financial Software

Financial Software Questions? Ask IT Support for Answers ASAP

Financial Software

How do I migrate my entire database from quickbooks pro 2010

to Quickbooks POS 2012?...
How do I migrate my entire database from quickbooks pro 2010 to Quickbooks POS 2012?
7/27/2012
DrQuickBooksnQuicken
DrQuickBooksnQuicken, Quickbooks Pro Certified
What you mean by database? If you mean all your transactions, it can't be done. You can transfer your items to POS. Perhaps you should explain why you want to do this.
I have a laptop that I'm currently using and just purchased a new PC with quickbooks POS and would like to start using that for sales. Can I point my POS system to my laptop for everything?
You can use Intuit's Point of Sale system (the current versions are 2013, 10, 9, 8 7, and 6) to track your individual sales but it is designed to integrate with the financial software (Pro or Premier). Generally, you want them both on the same computer or linked up or networked in some way.

If you use POS only to track sales, you won't be tracking your back office transactions such a writing checks, online banking, etc. I don't see how you would run your business then.

Do you understand the difference between the two software versions? You can use QuickBooks financial to track your sales and handle your back office transactions. I am thinking that is what you want to do? What is the actual name of the software on both computers?
Hi Jason Weatherly,

It is unfortunate to hear that you are not happy with my answer. However, if you don't answer my questions, I can't solve your problem.

Just so you know, if you have QuickBooks financial (Pro/Premier) on your laptop, you may be able to transmit your POS data to that company file although usually it is recommended by Intuit to have both programs on the same machine (POS computer). I would need to know what you have to help you.

You can transmit your inventory items from QB financial to your POS. Many of my clients have done that but you can't transmit the entire database of transactions. They are two separate programs. Do you understand that?

Please reply.
I have quickbooks pro 2010 on a laptop and quickbooks POS 2012 on a new workstation. I need them to work together somehow.
Then you would need to configure your POS workstation to send the data to your laptop. Are the two hardwired together?

Also, there is no such program as QuickBooks POS 2012 (US). Please check again and let me know if you have Basic or Pro.

Sorry, v10. Yes the two are hardwired together through a switch

Lindie-mod
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
I don't have an answer yet, will I be refunded as I've already been charged?
Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly
Based on what you have described, you won't be able to make this work by using a switch (that controls and allows access to the Internet).

You either need to put the QuickBooks Pro 2010 on the POS machine and follow the recommended procedure. You have clearly indicated that you don't want to do that.

Also, experts don't care to get poor ratings for telling you what you don't want to hear. Please retract your rating. That was why I Opted Out.
You never told me the recommended procedure, that's why I gave you a poor rating. I've been asking how to get it set up for 3 days and am no where closer to getting it accomplished. Tell me what I need to do to get it set up and I'll retract my rating but I don't want to pay 18 dollars to be told "it can't be done". My kids could tell me that for free.
First I did tell you the recommended procedure for connecting your programs:

"Just so you know, if you have QuickBooks financial (Pro/Premier) on your laptop, you may be able to transmit your POS data to that company file although usually it is recommended by Intuit to have both programs on the same machine (POS computer). I didn't provide specific information as you hadn't told me if you had a network at that time and your original question was very vague.

Second, as long as you have a switch, you won't be able to do what you want. You won't be able to transmit your data from one machine to another. That is a limitation of using a switch. Think about it. When one machine is connected to the Internet, how will the other machine connect to it?

Are you prepared to upgrade to creating a network by insisting that you have the programs on two separate machines? Or are you willing to listen to someone who does this for a living? You can always use your laptop to login to the POS machine remotely. And you are allowed by Intuit to install the same financial software on both machines as long as you are the only user and only one user is logged in at the same time

Third, you never asked for step by step instructions. You posted a general inquiry with no specific information. I am not a mind reader.

If you install both programs on the POS computer, you can find the instructions for connecting your POS file to your QB financial program file on page 34-36 of the user manual that can be found under the drop down menu under Help. I can't reproduce those instructions due to copyright law.

If you won't put both programs on the same computer, then you could use Remote Data Sharing but it is not recommended.

You can find instructions for doing so at http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/opencms/sites/default/QBSupportSite/pdfs/pos70r1_rds_guide.pdf but I do not recommend it to my clients as most do not have the technical level of expertise to implement it or the money to hire someone for support.
DrQuickBooksnQuicken
DrQuickBooksnQuicken
DrQuickBooksnQuicken