Financial Software

How do you change a Balance from the last statement in the…

Customer Question
How do you change a...
How do you change a Balance from the last statement in the reconcile mode when the existing amount is wrong. when you say okay and go to the next part for clearing the checks and deposits the incoming balance revert back to the wrong amount I started with.
Hope I made my problem clear enough. Am awaiting your expert... Read full answer
Hope I made my problem clear enough. Am awaiting your expert advice.
Saludos
Mel
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Financial Software
6/7/2012
Tech Support Rep: Bridget Martin, Accountant replied 7 years ago
Bridget Martin
Bridget Martin, Accountant

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you with your issue.

The reason the number has changed is that an previously cleared transaction has been changed or deleted since the last transaction. If you last reconciled on let's say 5/31 then change the date to 5/31 and leave the beginning balance alone. Put the correct Beginning balance in the ending balance and click okay. Now what you have is the difference between the incorrect and the correct balance and it must be re-reconciled.

If you are using Quicken, please see these instructions. If you are using Quickbooks, see this site.

Bridget, is it possible to discuss my problem via telephone? If so please tell me the number to call and iwill do so ASAP.

The answer I received does not solve my problem. I think we may get a solution if we confer via a telecon. Please advise post haste as my wife is beating me about the head and shoulders for a quick fix!!! LOL

I do appreciate your help,

Mel

Bridget, I finally found the error my i had made on a previous entry and after making that correction all worked out fine.

Thank you very much for your help.

Mel

Great Mel.....I'm sorry I did not answer your last response but my system did not notify me of your reply. Have a great day.
Bridget Martin
Bridget Martin, Accountant
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I was reconciling my bank account and had just finished the
I was reconciling my bank account and had just finished the deposit portion. One date for a deposit was 11/2/18 instead of 10/31/18. I changed it and the next thing I saw was a balance adjustment for … read more
Consultant,
I am printing quicken reconciliation statements, out of the
I am printing quicken reconciliation statements, out of the blue it prints everything from 2012 to current? I cant find a range statement in any of the quicken areas? … read more
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen
President,
Ph.D.
I was working on the bank reconciliation in Simply Accounting.
I was working on the bank reconciliation in Simply Accounting. I cleared a few items, then realized that I was using the wrong statement end date. I changed the statement end date, cleared everything … read more
BK-CPA
BK-CPA
Stop searching for answers—
I cannot balance my recent bank statement-I balance 100% every
I cannot balance my recent bank statement-I balance 100% every month- I think I must have touched a wrong key after I balanced last month?… read more
Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada
Financial / Legal Advisor,
I am using Quickbooks version 1999. Can you help me undo reconsile
I am using Quickbooks version 1999. Can you help me undo reconsile of July 2012? I accidently hit a button and it reconsiled before I was done now it is on Aug 2012 with the wrong beginning balance?… read more
AnswerCPA
AnswerCPA
Advisor,
I have Quicken 2002 basic and I need to un reconcile an entire
I have Quicken 2002 basic and I need to un reconcile an entire account. Can you help me? Bill Beierwaltes [email protected]… read more
DrQuickBooksnQuicken
DrQuickBooksnQuicken
Chief Software Trainer and President,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have Quicken 2012 deluxe. It works just fine. I reconcile
I have Quicken 2012 deluxe. It works just fine. I reconcile my checking account every month. Last month I reconciled with no problems. This month the opening balance in Quicken and the bank statement … read more
Consultant,
I am trying to balnce ny checking account statement. I down
I am trying to balnce ny checking account statement. I down load my back statement with the correct Beginning balance. When I try to balance my checking account statement, the quicken program gives me… read more
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA
Tax Advisor,
I undid 3 credit card reconciliations trying to get the right
I undid 3 credit card reconciliations trying to get the right beginning balance, because when I went to pay the last one, I went out so as not to pay the wrong way & beginning balance was wrong. That'… read more
Consultant,
I have the 2009 virsion of QuickBooks. I was trying to reconcile
I have the 2009 virsion of QuickBooks. I was trying to reconcile a February bank statement when I noticed that the ending balance shown was $500 less than it should have been. I then tried to go back … read more
Consultant,
i have a problem that i cant solve, my original deposit was
i have a problem that i can't solve, my original deposit was entered incorrectly so i tried to go with my last bank statements balance and it will not allow me to do that or change the original deposi… read more
Consultant,
I am in the process of reconcilling my Feb. Q account for 2011.I
I am in the process of reconcilling my Feb. BANK statement in the Quicken account for 2011. I took the last ending BANK statement balance from December, 2010, and started a new month in Quicken on a s… read more
Consultant,
Stop searching for answers—
Several months ago I made a mistake reconciling my checkbook
Several months ago I made a mistake reconciling my checkbook in Quicken. I have been stymied ever since. I don't know how to correct it. I mixed up the order of the bank statements. In other words, I … read more
Consultant,
I have quickbooks 2008. It seems that when I reconcile my
I have quickbooks 2008. It seems that when I reconcile my accounts on a monthly basis, the date of reconciliation is "set" wrong. It is currently set to "3/31/2011". Even though I change the date when… read more
Bridget Martin
Bridget Martin
Accountant,
Bridget, Thank you for offering not to have me pay for your
Bridget, Thank you for offering not to have me pay for your answer. I feel you answered in good faith and deserve to be paid, even though I found a different solution myself. But now I have a new ques… read more
Bridget Martin
Bridget Martin
Accountant,
My problem is in the reconciliation process. I check all of
My problem is in the reconciliation process. I check all of the entries off and everything looks fine except there is a hugh discrepancy between the ending balance and the cleared balance. Quickbooks … read more
Bridget Martin
Bridget Martin
Accountant,
I have quickbooksPro 2008 and have had problems with it dropping
I have quickbooksPro 2008 and have had problems with it dropping 3 to 6 months data - backup files also have omitted files. Now I reconcile a bank statement which balances with bank statement with pri… read more
Bridget Martin
Bridget Martin
Accountant,
I recently set up a new restructured GL in a new company in
I recently set up a new restructured GL in a new company in Quickbooks for an existing client. Then beginning at the start of a new fiscal year, I recorded a Journal entry to set up the balance sheet … read more
David Bennett
David Bennett
Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor,
Certificate of Accounting (Honours)