Financial Software

Financial Software Questions? Ask IT Support for Answers ASAP

Financial Software

Ive used Quicken 2004 for years for our personal finances.

Customer Question
I've used Quicken 2004 for...
I've used Quicken 2004 for years for our personal finances. I recently installed the latest system (OS X Lion) on my Macbook Pro. I now cannot open Quicken. I'm holding out hope that you have a solution for this. I have years of our finances on Quicken. I was told that the data is still there. However, because my version is 2004, I cannot upgrade to the new Quicken by Intuit. I can't lose this date. Please... can you help me?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Financial Software
5/8/2012
Tech Support Rep: Robert M., Consultant replied 5 years ago
Robert M., Consultant

Unfortunately Intuit has no direct way to go from 2004 to the current versions of 2007 or essentials that will run under lion.

You have a couple of choices. You can purchase a used copy of 2005 and go through that ( although it would have to be done on a snow leapard machine )

If you have access to a pc you can convert it to 2004 on the pc and then purchase a copy of 2012 ( which you can return within 60 days ) and from there to the 2007 on the mac

You can create a snow leapard partition on your mac and run the 2004 in that.

I can give you more detailed instructions for any of those options if you want

Thank you for your reply. I'm not too hip on all this, but want to try so I can get my data back.

I have no idea how to create a Show Leopard partition on my mac. If I chose this option, would I then be able to upgrade that to a later version of Quicken, and then to the 2012 version?

If I were to have access to a pc (a friend's), how would I get my Quicken 2004 data (which I can't open on my mac) to the pc?

Its a process and you need to have the 2004 running to do it. Then you export a qif file from the mac and import that into the windows program complete details on this page

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/converting-quicken-for-mac-files-to-quicken-for-windows/GEN82367.html

The windows 2012 will read the file that windows 2004 creates automatically

the 2004 windows is available free on this site http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/install--register--and-convert/using-an-intermediate-version-to-convert-older-versions-of-quicken/GEN82211.html

These instructions will convert from windows to mac 2007

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/pre-sales-questions/convert-data-from-quicken-for-windows-to-quicken-for-mac/GEN82194.html

( the new 2007 is lion compatible a much more complete program than the essentials and also a lot cheaper. Available for $15 here http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance-software/quicken-2007-osx-lion.jsp

basic steps to creating a snow leapard partition are
1. In Lion applications go to utilities / Disk utilities
2. In the top left click on your main disk drive and there will be a "partition" option on the menu on the right
3. click on + on the lower corner to add a partition
4. give it a name and select the size. It should be at least 10 gb as snow leapard takes 6 itself and you need room for applications and data
5. put your original snow leapard cd in the drive and reboot the computer. It will boot from the cd and ask where you want to install the snow leapard. Select the new partition that you just made
6. Once that is complete you can remove the disk and reboot the computer and it will ask you which partition you want to boot from whenever you restart the computer.
7. Boot into the snow leapard partition and install the quicken 2007 on the snow leapard partition

If you do create the snow leapard partition you can load a copy of 2005 on it ( they are usually available at amazon or ebay but they can be a bit spendy ) convert the 2004 to 2005 and the 2007 mac will read a 2005 data file directly

That's a lot of info... thank you. This is starting to give me hope. It won't be easy for me, I'm not a techy.

I also have another computer that I don't use much (iMac). Is there a way to transfer the 2004 Quicken and my data to it from my laptop???
I didn't click "Like it!" as I thought that would mean I was done. At this point I am happy with the instructions provided. I received a note from "Just Answer" that my questions were being submitted to all Financial Software experts. I don't want you, RobMark, to have a negative mark from me. Thank you.

No it wont be easy but it is possible.

I have no idea what the message from just answer about submitting to all experts was about. Any of us can look at this but i doubt anybody else would jump in unless they thought i was wrong.

I do hope that you will push the like or accept button for me as that is what allows me to be paid. I will be happy to keep this question open in case you need help during the actual process and i will continue to help even after it is accepted if you post back in

Thank you.

Robert M., Consultant
RobMark,

Yes if you have the original cd that you installed from. ( if you did it via download it MAY still be on the quicken website for download but they only guarantee it will be there for 3 years )

You jst need to copy the data file from one machine to the other and install the quicken program. Then in the quicken go to

file / open

and browse to where you copied the data file

the data file should end with .qdfm

If you purchased from Intuit directly you can download again for 3 years.

go to https://quicken.intuit.com/commerce/account/secure/login.jsp?pagecontext=download

sign in with the email address and password that you used when you purchased it

click on downloads and unlocks

That should give you a list of any intuit product that you purchased online within the last 3 years with a download button. Click the download button next to the product that you want and then select RUN.

Well, I tried creating a new partition. I got to the area where that's done and clicked on 'partition'. But, it won't let me do anything. In fact, it says "This is the startup partition, you can't erase it." It talks about erasing and resizing. I think I'm over my head.

Yeah thats possible. It may be that you are already using the entire drive for the lion partition.

You should be able to resize it instructions are on this page

http://osxdaily.com/2009/11/20/resize-partitions-in-mac-os-x-with-disk-utility/

But honestly this is mac thng and I am more of a pc guy. It may be that if you only have 1 partition and its the boot partition it wont let you resize that.

Robert M., Consultant