Financial Software

Financial software questions? Ask IT support for answers ASAP

I am using a program called notesmith It is for rental management.

Customer Question
I am using a program...
I am using a program called notesmith It is for rental management. It is giving me a code OLE error Ox80040154 Class not registered. OLE object is being ignored. Record number 9. When I contacted Notesmith they said the code is with my microsoft word. It is not installed properly. How can I fix this. All my programs are on 2 computers with the same model of computer but this one is not working for some reason. Help! thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Financial Software
2/29/2012
Tech Support Rep: IT_Miro,
 replied 6 years ago
IT_Miro

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is Miro and I will assist you solve your problem.

To fix that, you will need to register file named MSCOMCTL.OCX. To do that, follow these instructions:

1. Close NoteSmith

2. Start Command Prompt (click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt)

3. There type this (or use copy & paste):

REGSVR32 MSCOMCTL.OCX
and press Enter

4. If everything went well, you should get a message: DllRegisterServer in MSCOMCTL.OCX succeeded

5. You can now start NoteSmith

However, if you get an error message on the step #4, it seems you don't have that file on your computer. Use THIS link to download it.

You will need to move/copy MSCOMCTL.OCX to this location:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\

Or, if you use Windows Vista or Windows 7 64-bit version, use this location instead:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\

After you have moved or copied that file into the right location, perform the step #3 again.

Okay I did all of that. I didn't have the file so used the link and I downloaded it just like the steps said too. In command prompt I got another error message the module "MSCOMCTL.OCX" failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified paith or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files The specified module could not be found

What do I do now. I am using windows 7 and I tried both locations you suggested and still got the same message above

Tech Support Rep: IT_Miro,
 replied 6 years ago
Hi! It seems there is a newer version of MSCOMCTL.OCX file, so delete your current version of that file and download a newer version using THIS link.

If you have 32-bit version of Windows 7, save it to:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\

But for 64-bit version, save it to:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\

Then, perform steps from 1 - 5 again and it should work.

I could not save the file to the destination you told me to. I had to save it else where. It would not allow me to save it. Now I get another error message... The module "MSCOMCTL.OCX was loaded but thecall to DIIRegisterServer failed with error code 0x8002801c

Now what do I do? I will be back on this computer sooner than I was last time. Sorry for the delay I was out of town. Thank you! I will be glad when I can use notesmith on here. It is a very important program for my business.

Relist: Other.
The original answer had a link and did not work and gave me an error code second answer gave me another but different error code
Tech Support Rep: IT_Miro,
 replied 6 years ago
In order to fix the problem, you will need to save MSCOMCTL.OCX file into the right location. Save it elsewhere won't do any changes.

First, download the file using a link from my second answer (THIS one) and save it to Desktop. Then go to C:\Windows\system and find and delete current version of MSCOMCTL.OCX file you find there. Now simply copy MSCOMCTL.OCX file from Desktop and paste it to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.

If you have 64-bit version of Windows 7, use C:\Windows\SysWOW64 instead.

I copied it from the desk top into the file. It told me I need admin permission to continue. I am logged on as admin. It allowed me to continue and moved the file. I double checked and the file was in there. I followed the above steps on the command prompt I still get the same error code as my last message. What else can I do? This is not working. :(

Tech Support Rep: IT_Miro,
 replied 6 years ago
OK... Since it seems to be a complicated problem, give me some time to investigate that problem and when I find a solution, I will post it here.

Thanks
Tech Support Rep: IT_Miro,
 replied 6 years ago
Hi again!

I am sorry to inform you that I was unable to find a possible solution to your problem other that what I already suggested.

Since this question is closed, you can open a new question and some other Expert will try to solve that for you, if you need still help.

Regards,