Financial Software

When Im trying to open my Quickbooks, I get an error message…

When I'm trying to open...
When I'm trying to open my Quickbooks, I get an error message that says "The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not being used by another program or a read only file." Help!!!!!!!!!!!!... Read full answer
When I'm trying to open my Quickbooks, I get an error message that says "The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not being used by another program or a read only file." Help!!!!!!!!!!!!
6/7/2011
bbl242003
bbl242003, Accountant

bbl242003 :

Hello welcome, to get started please fill in some text below, and press the enter key one time on your keyboard, avoid pressing accept until I have helped you

bbl242003 :

Welcome, the latest info that I have for you is

bbl242003 :

When I'm trying to open my Quickbooks, I get an error message that says "The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not being used by another program or a read only file."

Customer:

Okay. How do we get started?

bbl242003 :

question, are you sharing the same quicken application between 2 or more computers?

Customer:

No.

bbl242003 :

when you get the error

bbl242003 :

"""The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not being used by another program or a read only file.""""

bbl242003 :

what exactly are you trying to do? access a backup file?

Customer:

I use QB for my husband's small business. I use it frequently to use the banking feature, pay quarterly taxes, etc. I haven't changed any settings. Just suddenly got this message.

bbl242003 :

just FYI, the message will appear when you have saved a backup file to a location that can NO LONGER be found, this error will not have an impact on the functionality of your application but I want to ensure that you can at least access all the regular files needed to run the business financials?

Customer:

I back up QB to a flash drive. Should I insert the flash drive to see when the last back up was?

bbl242003 :

Yes, but BEFORE you do that, is QB open right now?

Customer:

Yes.

bbl242003 :

now the information that appears to you with QB open will be lost if you recover a backup off the flash drive, just fyi

bbl242003 :

you would need to make a backup of the info that appear to you first, ALSO, does the latest information appear to be present on QB now?

Customer:

That's no good. I can't see the information I have now because the error message is there and won't go away. I don't think it will allow me to back up.

bbl242003 :

the error message will go away once we close out QB, but I want to ensure that you do not lose any of your hard work before we do so

Customer:

How do we make sure?

bbl242003 :

one way is too check to see what backup files exist already ,

bbl242003 :

Quicken names the data file Qdata by default, but you can save a Quicken file as any name you wish. Usually, Quicken data files are found under C:/Program Files/Quicken/Data, and when you open Quicken, it automatically uses the last data file used.
You can easily find all Quicken data files on your computer by clicking on File, File Operations, Find Quicken Files. From there, you can choose to find all Quicken files, files on a hard drive, USB drive, CD or other media, or search by file name.

Customer:

We're doing QUICKBOOKS--not Quicken

bbl242003 :

same steps for quickbooks

Customer:

Do I close QB first?

bbl242003 :

no need to close it,

bbl242003 :

I want to ensure we have a good backup first

Customer:

Don't mean to be dim, but I can do nothing in the QB window. Where to I look for the C drive? In "my computer"?

bbl242003 :

yes, correct, go to my computer, then c drive ,

Customer:

OK. Found it but when I click on the QB it shows me everything that is on that program. Should I go to the flash drive?

bbl242003 :

I'm confused, I would suggest that you only retrieve what is on the flash drive as long as your positive that the flash d has the most current backup

Customer:

You think you're confused! Here's a thought. I think the most recent QB back up is on the flash drive, but one of the reasons I had the tech guy over yesterday was because my external hard drive had stopped working. Turns out a cord was loose in back. (I have 2 cats that get into everything.) Anyway, could that be part of the problem. In other words, I'm thinking it could be backed up on the flash drive but not on my hard drive back up. The last time the hard drive backed up was April 28.

bbl242003 :

I believe your absolutely correct!

Customer:

So what to do?

bbl242003 :

close out the QB that is open, then access the latest info from the flash drive , which appear to be our ONLY option right now, but to reinterate, your latest theory seems right on the money, and would cause the error that your seeing to appear

Customer:

It won't let me me close out...........

bbl242003 :

go ahead and hit control, alt , delete, and when you see QB, select it, then select end task

Customer:

Thanks. Forgot about that one. So now look on the flash drive?

bbl242003 :

once the QB has closed out, then go ahead and access the backup file on the flash d

Customer:

It still won't open. Same error message.

bbl242003 :

when you open up QB, are you using a short cut on the desktop, or are you accessing it by double left clicking on the backup file on the flash drive?

Customer:

short cut.

Customer:

That wasn't completely correct. When I have access from the flash drive I double click.

bbl242003 :

that is one problem, lets access QB main install by going, start, programs, then quickbooks

bbl242003 :

let me know once it opens up for you

bbl242003 :

did the error go away?

Customer:

Same error message "Windows says that file exists."

bbl242003 :

go ahead and bookmark this conversation

bbl242003 :

and make a copy of this conversation direct link

bbl242003 :

then restart your computer system, keep QB closed until your connected to me once again

bbl242003 :

thanks

bbl242003 :

are you in a position where you can restart your computer?

Customer:

I have to go to a physical therapy appt. Can I just leave off here and pick you up again in a couple hours or do I have to close out so as not to tie you up?

bbl242003 :

No, you can return whenever your ready, chances are your problem has been resolved after you perform a restart, if it continues, then return to me so we can finalize any remaining steps to get rid of this error and get you going again

bbl242003 :

Thank you

Customer:

I restarted. No good.

bbl242003 :

Thanks for responding, at this point, I would want to reinstall your QB application, do you have the install cd handy?

Customer:

I do.

bbl242003 :

go ahead and place the disk inside the cd rom and wait for the wizard to appear

Customer:

OK. Shall I just go forward with the install?

bbl242003 :

please

Customer:

Do I hit "repair"?

bbl242003 :

yes please

bbl242003 :

Should not take any longer than 10 mins for the repair to complete

Customer:

Didn't seem to work. I closed down QB and opened it back to the same error message. Are you as frustrated as I am?

bbl242003 :

yes, this is strange, our final option here is too reinstall the complete application, if you remove then reinsert the disk, it should prompt you to reinstall ,

bbl242003 :

if not, it will say remove first, then after it removes, you will be able to reinstall

Customer:

It's asking me if I want to update to the latest version...

bbl242003 :

has it already reinstalled?

bbl242003 :

I would hold off on the update until we recover the backup on the flash drive

Customer:

as far as I can tell. I might just have run the repair again. What to do??

bbl242003 :

go ahead and finish it, if the error is still there, then it is a safe bet that we did do a repair by accident again instead of a full removal and reinstall

Customer:

Houston.......The Eagle has landed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Customer:

Should I do anything with the flash drive now??

bbl242003 :

Houston? so the error is gone? Yes, go ahead and place the flash drive in the usb, then select the word FILE from the upper left corner of your QB screen, then select OPEN

Customer:

It's a quote from one of the first moon landings..........you must be young. Okay, it appears to be fully functional. If you were here I'd give you a big hug but you're not so I guess I'll just authorize the payment. You certainly earned your dime this time. Thank you very much.

bbl242003 :

if this information answers your
question, then press Accept below, REMEMBER to keep all the
emails sent to you by the system, so that you may respond
DIRECTLY to me, WITHOUT having to pay again. ENSURE to leave
me Postive feedback! if you have additional questions, then
respond when your ready!

bbl242003
bbl242003, Accountant
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Using Quick Books Pro 2014. Trying to pay employees. When I
Using Quick Books Pro 2014. Trying to pay employees. When I went to create paychecks it said it couldn't calculate taxes because I needed the latest tax table updates and to go to 'employees" "get pay… read more
Consultant,
my quickbooks seems to be frozen. when I try to open it I
my quickbooks seems to be frozen. when I try to open it I get a warning box which says: The file you specified can not be opened. Make sure that it is not currently being used by another program or a … read more
QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA PHR
QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA PHR
When I open quickbooks and sign in I get this message... The
When I open quickbooks and sign in I get this message... The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not currently being used by another program or a read-only file. The Windows erro… read more
IT Manager,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a QuickBooks 2011 program I would like to do a data
I have a QuickBooks 2011 program I would like to do a data transfer to a 2013 program I purchased and down loaded today. However, the 2011 program has a warning: The file you specified cannot be opene… read more
Consultant,
I can open quickbooks but when I try to process payroll forms
I can open quickbooks but when I try to process payroll forms I get this message: The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure it is not currently being used by another program or a read - only … read more
Consultant,
Im trying to open quick boos. the message I get is the file
I'm trying to open quick boos. the message I get is the file you specified cannot be opened make sure that it is not currently being used by another program or a read only file The windos error was th… read more
PDtax
PDtax
Owner,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My qb is not opening up correctly. It worked fine on Tueday
My qb is not opening up correctly. It worked fine on Tueday not I get this message: The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not currently being used by another program or a read-… read more
Consultant,
I am getting a message saying "QB is updating files. Please
I am getting a message saying "QB is updating files. Please wait. 99%" It seems to be stuck and will not complete the update. Then I get a message "The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure i… read more
Consultant,
I recently installed my existing Quickbooks 2002 onto a different
I recently installed my existing Quickbooks 2002 onto a different computer running Vista. It appears it cannot get current updates, indicating a error, as well as a error when trying to access reports… read more
Bridget Martin
Bridget Martin
Consultant,
When I try to open a file I get the following message. The
When I try to open a file I get the following message. "The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not currently being used by another program or a read-only file".… read more
Bridget Martin
Bridget Martin
Consultant,
I use QuickBooks Pro 2010 and I have this message that I cannot
I use QuickBooks Pro 2010 and I have this message that I cannot get rid of, it will not allow me to open my company files. Here is the message: The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure it is… read more
Bridget Martin
Bridget Martin
Consultant,
Havung a problem opening QB Pro 2008. It executes and then
Havung a problem opening QB Pro 2008. It executes and then a pop up comes that says "WARNING the file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not currently being used." Also in the backgr… read more
Doug Millington
Doug Millington
Certified Public Accountant (CPA),
Stop searching for answers—
I opened quickbooks 2010 and got right past the login screen
I opened quickbooks 2010 and got right past the login screen when I get a message saying that "the file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not currently being used by another program… read more
Doug Millington
Doug Millington
Certified Public Accountant (CPA),
I am unable to log onto my Quickbooks. I have one Quickbook
I am unable to log onto my Quickbooks. I have one Quickbooks license, but it is available for use on two seperate computers. When trying to log in, a message appears that says: You do not have suffici… read more
Bridget Martin
Bridget Martin
Consultant,
This is a Quickbooks 2009 question. I am working on year-end
This is a Quickbooks 2009 question. I am working on year-end payroll reports. When I click on the Process Payroll Forms I get the following message in an error box. The file you specified cannot be op… read more
Doug Millington
Doug Millington
Certified Public Accountant (CPA),
When I try to open my quickbooks file I get the error the file
When I try to open my quickbooks file I get the error the file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure it is not being used by another program or a read only file. The windows error was "file alread… read more
David Bennett
David Bennett
Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor,
Certificate of Accounting (Honours)
Ok not sure what going on, Im trying to get to quickbooks
Ok not sure what going on, I'm trying to get to quickbooks and when i boot it up i get the yellow triangle with ! and it says.....the file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not curr… read more
David Bennett
David Bennett
Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor,
Certificate of Accounting (Honours)
I am trying to open QuickBooks 2008. I get a warning message
I am trying to open QuickBooks 2008. I get a warning message: The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not currently being used by another program or a "read only: file. The Windo… read more
IT Manager,