Financial Software

Financial Software Questions? Ask IT Support for Answers ASAP

Financial Software

Excel can not open the data file when I export a report to

Excel can not open the...
Excel can not open the data file when I export a Quickbooks Premier report to Excel. I'm using Quickbooks Premier 2011 and Excel 2007. I have contacted Intuit and they walked me through uninstalling and reinstalling Quickbooks. They said that it was a Microsoft problem. Contacted Microsoft and they said that it is a Quickbooks problem. Nevertheless, I still can't export a Quickbooks report to Excel ever since I upgraded to Quickbooks Premier 2011. I was able to export reports to Excel in the 2010 version.
3/29/2011
Doug Millington
Doug Millington, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Doug Millington :

If you have a question about accounting, bookkeeping, QuickBooks or Peachtree I have the answer.

Doug Millington :

OK - what is the exact message you receive from QuickBooks when you go to export to Excel?

Doug Millington :

Also to try to pinpoint the problem please try the following:

Doug Millington :

(1) Run any standard report and click the Export button - then select the radio button "a comma separated values (csv) file" and try to export

Doug Millington :

(2) Follow the same steps in one except choose to export to an "existing excel report" radio button - and choose any exisiting

Doug Millington :

Excel file to export the report

Doug Millington :

Please let me know what happens when you try these two variations on exporting to Excel + the exact error message you are receiving from QuickBooks when you try to export to a new Excel file.

Customer:

Exact message - "Excel could not open the data file".

Customer:

1) csv file will export. File will open in Excel. It contains the data in the proper columns but is not formatted with underlines, headings, etc.

Customer:

2) I exported the report to an existing file. The file wanted me to open it as a read only file. It did add the spreadsheet to the existing file. Now every time I want to open the existing file, Excel says that the file is already open but I don't have Excel open.

Doug Millington :

OK - one moment

Doug Millington :

OK - let's repair the Excel installation - what operating system is on your computer?

Customer:

Windows Vista

Doug Millington :

OK - (1) Click the Windows Start button and select Control Panel.
(2) In the Control Panel, click on Programs.
(3) In Programs, click on Programs and Features.
(4) In Program and Features, select Microsoft Office.
(5) Once Microsoft Office is selected, click Change.
(6) In the Microsoft Office Installation window, select the Repair radio button, click Next, click Repair.
(7) Click Finish. Your installation of Microsoft Office should now be repaired

Customer:

It is asking me "Are you sure you want to remove Microsoft Professional 2007 from your machine?"

Doug Millington :

NO DO NOT REMOVE

Doug Millington :

You are looking for a Repair radio button

Customer:

I see now the change button. I clicked on it and it says please wait while Setup prepares the necessary files and then the window goes away.

Doug Millington :

Make sure you select "Change"

Doug Millington :

Oh - that's not good

Doug Millington :

Do you have the CD for MS Office?

Customer:

Yes

Doug Millington :

I know this will sound a little radical but I would suggest uninstalling and then reinstalling MS Office - the down side is that you will have to go to Windows Update and download any of the updates after you reinstall which takes some time but I do think the issue is with Excel and not QuickBooks especially since you can export a csv file successfully

Customer:

How long do you think it will take? Is this something that I need to alot some time tomorrow to do?

Doug Millington :

I would estimate about an hour to a hour and a half - the problem with the updates is that you have to keep checking after each update to see if any more updates are available

Doug Millington :

plus you have to reboot al ot

Customer:

Sounds like a tomorrow project. Do I come back to this chat to let you know how things turned out after I uninstall and reinstall?

Doug Millington :

yes

Doug Millington :

I do have a very busy day tomorrow and will not be available till after 6pm

Doug Millington :

We can work in this char window till you are up and running with the export to Excel feature

Customer:

No problem. I'll leave you a message. I uninstall through Control Panel and then insert the CDs and reinstall the software. Correct?

Doug Millington :

yes - reboot after you uninstall

Doug Millington :

then reinstall

Doug Millington :

then download any updates

Customer:

Where do I go to get the updates?

Doug Millington :

you go to either Microsoft Updates or Windows Updates

Doug Millington :

It should be a choice when you click on Start and then prpgrams

Customer:

Do these normally download automatically on a routine basis or should I be going to these sites looking for available downloads?

Doug Millington :

they normally download as they are released but since you are going to reinstall from the original CD you should go and seek them out

Doug Millington :

you can also do a google for Windows Updates

Customer:

Thanks.

Doug Millington :

OK - we'll chat tomorrow - hopefully this will do the trick

Customer:

OK

Doug Millington :

great

Customer:

Been busy the last 2 nights. Just now trying to uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Office 2007. Tried to uninstall through Control Panel. Got error message "Microsoft Office Professional 2007 uninstall did not complete successfully".

Doug Millington :

OK - check out this support article from Microsoft on how to manuallu uninstall MS Office - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218

Doug Millington :

There are a bunch of steps involved - just take your time and read through the instructions a couple of times to gain a clear understanding of what they want you to do

Doug Millington :

I will be available all day except for an errand or two I have to run - let me know what happens.

Customer:

Thank you.

Doug Millington :

OK - let me know how it goes and if you run into any problems.

Customer:

WORKS!!! It was a pain uninstalling Excel but the uninstall finally worked. Reloaded Office 2007 and now I can export Quickbooks 2011 reports to Excel.

Doug Millington :

Outstanding!!

Doug Millington :

It's not always QuickBooks but the software it interacts with

Doug Millington :

any more questions?

Customer:

How much do I owe you for your time?

Doug Millington :

If you feel I did a good job you can add a bonus payment to the answer after you click accept and postive feedback is always welcome.

Customer:

I'll do both!!!

Doug Millington :

Thanks - enjoy the weekend - you're off to a good start

Customer:

Thank you. You too.

Doug Millington
Doug Millington
Doug Millington