Financial Software

Financial Software Questions? Ask IT Support for Answers ASAP

Financial Software

I am trying to restore my current Quicken data from my computer…

Customer Question
I am trying to restore...
I am trying to restore my current Quicken data from my computer to my wife's computer. I have been doing this for quite a few years without any problems. Now when I try to restore the current file, I get a window that states "you cannot restore a file from the current directory" no matter what I answer for the file name. In the past I would then get a statement that gave me the option of overriding the current file. I would check this box and then all the current Quicken data from my computer would be installed on my wife's computer. Nowhere do I have this option on my current Quicken program. Also, in looking back on prior periods on my computer, all the check disbursements are entered alphabtically rather than by date and check number ! Where did I go wrong ? Sincerely, XXXXX [email protected] XXX-XXX-XXXX
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Financial Software
2/5/2011
Tech Support Rep: Robert M., Consultant replied 7 years ago
Robert M., Consultant

Reboot the computer and make sure that you logged in an account with administrator rights.

Copy the file that you want to restore to my documents and give it a new name leaving the QDF after the period the same

Then try one of the following methods

go to file / backup restore / restore browse to the file in my documents

it should restore to a new file with the new name that you can then open

Or

go to file / new to create a blank data file

THEN do

file / backup restore / restore and select the option to overwrite current data

that should overwrite the new blank file that you created

Also if you are using the same version of quicken on both computers it is easier to do

file / save a copy as

and then just copy the qdf file to the other computer in my documents

and then use

file / open browse to the qdf file in my documents and just open it

In trying to follow your instructions, I believe that I have screwed things up more than

ever. By following the messages that were coming up on my screen, I seem to have ended up in a prior year and now I am completely lost. If you read my message, you

will see that no where did I get a statement that gave me the option of "overriding the

current file" as I had used in backing up prior year's files. Also, I do not know how to

make sure that I am logged in an account with administrator rights.What about the

last sentence in my message where I stated that in looking back on prior periods on

my computer, all the check disbursements are entered alphabetically rather than by

date and check number. Where did I go wrong !

You are unclear as to whether you want to overwrite when backing up or restoring.

I think most of your problem is that you are not sorting the register correctly

That is why i said to click on the bar above the columns in the register right where it has the actual word DATE

then they will sort on date.

If you use the method where you use copy and open rather then backup and restore you will not need to overwrite anything

you can do the copy directly to a flash drive

and then copy the file to my documents

and then open it from there.

If this is not making sense to you lets start over completely

do you have quicken running on one computer where you are happy with the way it is running?

on that computer

file / save a copy as browse to your flash drive and give it the name quicken1.qdf

plug the flash drive into the other computer

on this second computer that now has the flash drive in it

open my computer and browse to the flash drive

right click on the quicken1.qdf file and select copy

open my documents

right click on a blank area and select paste

open quicken

go to file / open

browse to my documents

open the file quicken1

It should be exactly the way it was on the first computer.

If the register is not sorting properly you can click account actions on the top right

select sort select by date

Edited by RobMark on 2/6/2011 at 1:50 AM EST
Robert M., Consultant
Robert M., Consultant