Financial Software

Financial software questions? Ask IT support for answers ASAP

I have quicken 2011 and need to disable the drop down menu…

Customer Question
I have quicken 2011 and...
I have quicken 2011 and need to disable the drop down menu that appears each time I enter a transaction category
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Financial Software
2/3/2011
Tech Support Rep: Robert M., Consultant replied 7 years ago
Robert M., Consultant

To disable it go to

edit / preferences / quicken

on the left under register it says quick fill

click on that and uncheck the box for provide drop down lists on field entry

You might be happier if you left it there and trimmed down the list of categories that it displayed however.

You can do that by going to

tools / category list

highlight and delete any category that you do not intend to use.

Rob:

I am working with Quicken 2011. I go to edit / preferences.....and there is no tab for quicken as you indicate. However on the "preferences" screen that pops up, there is a tab for Register / data entry and quickfill. I go to that screen and yes, there is a tab for disabling the drop down menu. I have, of course, long ago disabled that tab, however my "issue" is that when you attempt to assign a category to an entry, you automatically get this annoyingly slow menu that plodding searches each letter as you type it and goes through and trys to find the category you want. It's so painfully slow that....not kidding....it takes 5-10 seconds for the program to finally find the category. I have contacted quicken in the past and they say this menu can't be disabled. If so, I want to not use quicken any longer. Please see if you can find a way to disable this menu

thanks

what type of computer are you using? It should be pretty much instantaneous

Rob:

I have an HP Pavillion laptop. I became so frustrated with Quicken that I converted the Quicken files to Quickbooks. thanks for responding, but please process my refund if you can.

thanks

alan wells

I am glad that it worked out for you. If i was of assistance or you feel i gave my best efforts in a professional manner I would apreciate if you clicked on accept. it will not charge you any additional money but i do not get paid out of your deposit if you do not accept. That is your choice of course

If you do not accept the money remains on account for you here for use with this or another question. Or you can arrange for a refund by emailing [email protected]

thanks and have a great day