Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

I have purchased my third update of the Quicken delux software

I have purchased my third update of the Quicken delux software and hoped to be able to transfer all the back years of records to the 2011 version. I tried to save the old data and have some saved data on a CD but am unabled to get the daily checking account info although the list/catagories caan be seen. Will I be abled to retrieve this data or is it lost forever?
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 years ago.

On the old computer in quicken

go to file / save a copy as

browse to my documents and name the file qckdata

go to file ./ backup restore / backup

browse to my documents and name the file qckbckp

copy those two files qckdata.qdf and qckbckp.qdb to the new computer

you can do this by copying them to a flash drive to a cd even emailing them to yourself as an attachment

copy them into the my documents folder on the new computer

install the new version of qucken

In the new quicken go to

file / open

browse to my documents and select the qckdata file

that should be all you have to do.

If that does not work

go to file / new create a new blank data file

then go to file / backup restore / restore

browse to my documents select qckbckup

make sure that the box for overwrite current file is checked ( the reason we created the new blank file )

One or the other method should get your old quicken data into the new program. Assuming it was a version from within the last few years.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The new 2011 version of Quicken has already been installed at Office Depot and I had started putting in data for January. Would this alter your answer?

Thanks, Wes

Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 years ago.

Only slightly.

If you started to put in new data before you opened your old file then you have a choice. You can not merge the two files. You can stick with the new one and forget about your historical data or you can find the old one and go back to the way it was when you last used the old version.

We are still back to the issue of whether it is a new computer and whether you had it backed up and whether the people at office depot erased your old data when they installed the new version.

Go to file / file operations / find quicken files

All quicken data or backup files that are on the hard drive should show up in that list and you can open or restore any one of them by double clicking on it.