Karla
Karla, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  15 years experience in business using and implementing various financial software.
42122963

I want to file married separatly not joint for the state of

Customer Question

I want to file married separatly not joint for the state of AR and it it leading me to file married joint. What to do?
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Karla replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Most states require you to use the same filing status for you state return that you used for your federal return. Based on my quick read, Arizona appears to be a community property state. Turbo tax will enforce the state law.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear but I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
AR stands for Arkansas AZ stands for Arizona I do not file taxes in Arizona. Thank you for your assist anyway.
Expert:  Karla replied 6 years ago.
I apologize for my mix up, of course you are correct. But it still does not change to basis of my answer, which is most states require you file using the same filing status you used for your federal return.

I found this under Arkansas tax filing reject codes.

0016 AR1000F
AR1000NR
State Filing Status must match Federal Filing Status. Exception: Federal
Filing Status 2 must equal State Filing Status 2 or 4.

Turbo Tax is programmed to all of the tax laws, which is the only way they can offer the guarantees that they offer.

100% Accurate Calculations Guarantee

If you pay an IRS or state penalty or interest because of a TurboTax calculation error, we'll pay you the penalty and interest.