Financial Software

Financial software questions? Ask IT support for answers ASAP

I am wracking my small brain with trying to transfer my Wind…

Customer Question
I am wracking my small...
I am wracking my small brain with trying to transfer my Windows Quicken to my new MacBook Pro. I have installed Mac Quicken 2007 and read the instructions over and over again with no resolution to this dilemma within reach! I have read various responses on the internet and none make sense much less work. My MAC doesn't know what a QIF file is and my backup from Windows doesn't even have a QIF file!!! I followed the instruction and attempted to create the QIF file on the MAC but it wouldn't create with this extension.
I have my Windows Quicken backed up on a Buffalo External Hard Drive and have transferred these files to the MAC, but they won't open.
Please anyone - help! I need to balance my checking account!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Financial Software
6/17/2010
Tech Support Rep: Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Kyle Brockman
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius

I can try to help you with this. What version of quicken do you have for windows?
2003
OK, the easiest way to get the data copied over is to do the following. Go back on your old windows machine and connect your external hard drive. Then open quicken. When quicken is open go to file then select export, then choose QIF. Have the export saved to your external hard drive. When exporting that file make sure to select all the accounts. Then connect the external hard drive to your mac. Open quicken on the mac, go to file and select New, name it and save it to your mac. When it comes up asking for new account click cancel. Then go back up to file and click import QIF, then choose the file you made on your external hard drive. This should then import all your information into the new mac file you just created. Then go up to file and click save.
Okay, that sounds easy enough, but here's the other problem. My monitor on my PC just went out and I don't really want to go out and buy another one. I'll have to borrow another monitor and hook up to my PC so I can do as you suggest. I can't get to that until tomorrow night, so how do I keep in touch with you to ask more questions as they come up?
You can do that through this question. That would be the easiest way.
This may be a dumb question, but will I need to pay again?
No you will not.
okay, thanks. Will try it tomorrow night.
Sounds good.
Okay, I'm back in business on my PC, and have gotten the Quicken accounts up to date and balanced.
When I do as you suggested, there are no QIF files. The only ones I see are QDF, QDB, QDT.

Now what?
I'm now back again. Re-read the instructions and fount the export to QIF you were talking about. Followed all the instructions as written above, but nothing transferred to my MAC. I can see the file in the directory, nothing is greyed out, but nothing imports to my checking account file.
Still having problems and haven't really gotten my solutions.
Still need help.
I'm a bit lost. Is the exported QIF file on your external? and can you see that file using finder?
Got it resolved. I ended up having to email the QIF file to myself on my MAC and was then able to open and Import it.
Working beautifully now. Thanks.
Glad to hear it worked. Just to let you know I don't get paid till you accept the answer.