Financial Software

Financial software questions? Ask IT support for answers ASAP

Hi Jesse, Im back with the same problem. 3 months later, and…

Customer Question
Hi Jesse, I'm back with...
Hi Jesse, I'm back with the same problem. 3 months later, and I've deleted every non-alphanumeric symbol in the company file to prepare this QB 4.0 file for conversion, but it still says"this is from an older version, it can't be used" when I try to restore it to the new 2010 version. I can't find any place on the Intuit support pages for anymore info on what I can do. . . can you help? I realize this might take you some time. . .:-)

Update as of 7:00 am Thursday, June 17. I found another thing to try in the "help" section of the 2010 version. I opened my data in the old version and "verified" it -- file-utilities-verify. It said all data was verified. Then I tried to open it in the 2010 version -- same message, "can't be opened". Then I went back to the old version and rebuilded the file and tried to open the rebuilded file -- still no luck. I will say that now when I try to open it in the 2010 version, I get a progress bar and it appears to be working until about 3/4 of the bar is filled before it says it can't be opened. A real head-scratcher. . .
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Financial Software
Relist: I still need help.
Answered in 2 days by:
6/18/2010
Tech Support Rep: David Bennett, Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor replied 8 years ago
David Bennett
David Bennett, Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor
Hi There!

I'm not sure what the other "expert" had told you but your data file from QB 4.0 (Mac) is far far too old to be converted directly by QB Mac 2010. In software years 7 might as well be 100, as the QuickBooks data structure now isn't even the same as it was way back then.

The only possible way you can manage a conversion of this old-style file now is to do a "bridge conversion" step, where you have to first convert it to QB 2006 Mac first, then once that conversion is successful, then you would be able to convert from a QB Mac 2006 file to the current version. You might try e-Bay or some other online site for an unused/used copy of QB Mac 2006, because Intuit doesn't carry past versions older than 3 years old. You may find a Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor (CLICK HERE) in your area who may still have a copy of 2006 Mac to do the bridge conversion for you.

The only other alternative is to close your books at the last completed accounting period, obtain the current QB version, start a new company file and enter your beginning balances into the new file from a trial balance taken from the most recent period-end financial statement from your old file.

Good luck! Laughing

Edited by XXXXX XXXXX on 6/18/2010 at 2:22 PM EST
David Bennett
Thanks, David. Actually, it wasn't the "other expert" -- it was the QB customer service people that told me I could do it. . .they had a page of info that included instructions on what to do -- rename file without any non-alpha-numeric characters, then open detailed transaction report and remove all non-alpha-numeric characters from the "memos" of each transaction, etc. I'll do what you suggest, but I could have done this in February when I first upgraded to the Mac version 2010 -- but I probably wouldn't have purchased it if my old database couldn't be upgraded. Thanks for your help.
Yah, that would have been too much to expect from even a programmer, let alone a QB user. General rule with Intuit products is that according the the software agreement, you actually only lease each program, and each program is supported by Intuit no longer than 3 years. Even if you "owned" the software outright, upgrades every few years are naturally necessary with computers because computers and programming changes so much so fast. Hard lesson, I suppose, but a good one. Best of luck!