13. In evaluating a thesis statement, it's important to bear in mind that it should
A. be general rather than specific.
B. make an assertion.
C. serve as an announcement regarding what the essay is about.
D. focus on at least two or three points.
14. Deciding whether to express yourself, inform others, or persuade readers are issues are related to the _______ of writing an essay.
C. point of view
15. Eliza is writing an essay describing a family vacation in a cottage in Maine. To organize the supporting details she decides to describe the experience of entering the cottage moving through the front room, to her bedroom, and the view of the beach from the back porch. Which method of organization is she using?
16. One of the nine ways, or patterns, of developing an essay is
D. process analysis.
17. A well-developed paragraph provides
A. general statements to be explained later in the body of an essay.
B. vocabulary that challenges the reader to seek for more information within the essay.
C. examples, explanations, and/or details to flesh out ideas that support the topic sentence.
D. a reassertion of the thesis statement.
18. What is the dominant pattern of development in the following passage?
Having been raised on a dairy farm in rural Minnesota, Lorie Ann Kline was having trouble adjusting to life in the city and to Central High School. In a conference with her parents, the school guidance counselor explained that Lorie Ann avoided talking to her fellow students and sat by herself in the lunchroom.
Perhaps most disturbing, her grades were not what one would expect given her high scholastic aptitude scores. Mrs. Kline agreed that Lorie Ann was often shy around strangers. A solemn Mr. Kline explained that his daughter had been severely bullied by two older children who had lived at the farm for a short time. The guidance counselor nodded in understanding.
A. Comparison and contrast
19. Lillian is looking for ideas to write about, and she decides to make a list of everything she can think of that relates to the topic of teenage romance. Which concept best describes Lillian's strategy?
A. Free association
20. Latisha is writing an essay on the subject of increasing the minimum wage, and wants to ensure that her essay will engage or entice readers. Which method of organization will most likely support her aim?