Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Master's Degree
Experience:  Masters in Literature and a Bachelors Degree in French with Management

The most important characteristic of legal writing is A.

Customer Question

The most important characteristic of legal writing is
A. precision in your choice of words.
B. using complex sentences.
C. using several synonyms of important words together.
D. the use of Latin terms of art.
2. Local rules regarding format for document filings
A. are pretty much the same all around.
B. are a guideline rather than a rule.
C. are the same in all counties of a state.
D. vary from court to court.
3. Which of the following sentences is grammatically correct?
A. I went to court; and I filed the motion to dismiss.
B. I wrote the memorandum and I Shepardized the citations then I sent it to the judge.
C. I wrote the memorandum; the attorney signed it.
D. I went to court, I filed the motion to dismiss.
4. What is a statutory form?
A. A form provided by Congress as a rough guide for attorneys to follow
B. A form mandated by law that must be followed to the letter
C. A form used as a template by legislatures when writing statutes
D. A law describing a form that attorneys may choose to rely on in court filings
5. Which of the following statements is true?
A. When you get a form from a form book, all you need to do is fill it out with the required information—you don't need to know what it's about.
B. When using a statutory form, you must be sure to include a footnote crediting the author of the form.
C. It's important to understand the form you're using, and to know any local rules of court that affect how it's used.
D. Paralegals often write real estate contracts, deeds, and other simple contracts when their attorneys are busy.
6. According to the instructions in the unit, which of the following would be the best to use in a court document defending your firm's client from a charge of embezzling?
A. Mr. Jones is not guilty of "misappropriation of funds," as defined in NY Stat. Ann. ' 345.32. He did not transfer funds into his own name, as required in the statute. Any mistakes that may have occurred in bookkeeping were entirely inadvertent.
B. Mr. Jones made a mistake in moving the funds, but he fully intended that the bank would recoup them, with interest. The statute in question, NY Stat. Ann. ' 345.32, is not applicable to this case and should, in any event, be contested in a court of different jurisdiction as determined by the higher court.
C. The charges are clearly and unequivocally irrelevant and immaterial, as NY Stat. Ann. ' 345.32 refers not to embezzling but to fiscal fraud. Besides, Mr. Jones did not place the money into his own account; the court has no jurisdiction over the matter.
D. During the course of the above captioned funds transfer activities, the aforesaid Jones was unaware of the record-keeping requirements; his intent was, contrary to the prosecution's contention, entirely innocent of the required premeditation of the statute.
7. Imagine you're writing a memorandum for a judge in a divorce case. The facts are as follows: (a) The couple has been married for 11 years. (b) They have 2 children, ages 6 and 9. (c) They've lived in their current house for 5 years. (d) The wife worked as an accountant before the marriage, but quit her job when she became pregnant, and stayed at home to raise the children. (e) The husband is a bank executive. (f) The husband had an affair with his secretary. (g) The husband is 5 years older than the wife. (h) There are 15 years left on the mortgage.
The question you're addressing is whether the wife should get alimony, and if so, how much. Which of the facts would be important to include?
A. (a), (b), (d), (e), (f)
B. (a), (d), (e)
C. (d), (e), (f), (g)
D. (a), (b), (c), (e), (h)
8. Appellate briefs may require a _________, which states your position in a nutshell.
A. Statement of Position
B. Jurisdictional Statement
C. Analysis of Case
D. Summary of Argument
9. Which of the following is not a technique you should use in stating facts to advance your position in the case?
A. De-emphasize negative facts with the passive voice.
B. Emphasize favorable facts by placement.
C. Ignore unfavorable facts.
D. Organize facts in a way that makes them easy to follow.
10. Which of the following sentences is least likely to be misinterpreted?
A. The party of the first part shall remunerate payment within a reasonable amount of time after completion of the contract to the party of the second part, unless the sum is in dispute.
B. This contract shall be null and void if its completion is unsatisfactory.
C. The contract shall be of no effect should either aforesaid party be unable to fulfill its obligations within a reasonable time.
D. If, upon completion of the work contracted, a licensed building inspector finds the materials or workmanship unsatisfactory, this contract will be void and no payment will be made.
11. In writing a memorandum, you should
A. ignore facts that contradict your side of the case.
B. give a complete
Category: Writing Homework
Expert:  Donna Kakonge replied 3 months ago.

Dear Cassie,

I can help you with these questions, however I believe that question 11 is cut off. Would you like to proceed and when is your deadline?

Kindest regards,