Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Master's Degree
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550

Real World Case Through a review of blood utilization in the

Customer Question

Real World Case
Through a review of blood utilization in the surgical units, the administrative manager of clinical operations for a large hospital noted what she believed to be a significant variation in the number of transfusion orders being placed per surgical case among the surgeons on staff. She brought the question to the surgical quality improvement committee and the committee initiated a review of current standard practice for ordering transfusions within the surgical units of the hospital and also a review of best practices as supported by current research evidence. They discovered that the evidence from transfusion research revealed that transfusion therapy can result in a variety of adverse patient outcomes, including the transmission of infection diseases, allergic reactions, and such. As a result, the hospital medical staff moved to adopt as its general “best practice” for transfusion ordering: a minimum hemoglobin concentration of 7g/dL (21% hematocrit) as an indication for red cell transfusions and a 10g/dL hemoglobin concentration (30% hematocrit) as a level at which transfusion therapy usually is unnecessary.
After the approved “best practice” guideline was introduced to the medical staff, a blood utilization dashboard was developed that helps responsible clinical managers identify at the physician level when transfusion orders are placed contrary to the guideline. Having this information available enables the clinical manager to address the issue on a unit or with the individual physician involved. Use of this dashboard has resulted in significant reduction in the variation in transfusion ordering practices among the medical staff and a significant reduction in blood utilization, which equates to a significant reduction in costs of maintaining the blood supply, and an improvement in patient outcomes.
Discussion Questions
1. What data elements must be accessed from the clinical data repository to drive the blood utilization dashboard?
2. What clinical data systems might this data come from?
Essay Questions
1. Discuss the place that an understanding of health data analytics and skill in applying data analytics to healthcare data has in the evolving responsibilities of entry level health information management professionals.
2. Explain the concept of “real time analytics,” its benefits, and the cautions that must be taken to avoid “false positive” alerts.
3. Identify the various data analytics techniques, and discuss the ways they are used in healthcare.
4. Explain how inferential statistics differ from descriptive statistics, why inferential statistical methods are such a significant aspect of component of data analytics work, and identify common inferential statistical methods?
Category: Writing Homework
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is Greg.

Is there any other information you can send to see if I can assist on it this for you? If you have any documents you can upload, you can do so to mediafire.com or box.com and share the link here with us.

If I had a model and could provide that as a model (would have to check files to see if I have one), would that be sufficient or are you seeking a fully written new model document?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Chapter 19 :
Data Analytics in Healthcare
Book: Health Information Management: Concepts, Principles, and Practice 4th ed.
Kathleen M. LaTour, MA, RHIA, FAHIMA
Shirley Eichenwald Maki, MBA, RHIA, FAHIMA
Pamela Oachs, MA, RHIA
Editors
978-1-58426-377-7
Due date is tonight.

After going through my resources, I do not have what is necessary to complete at this time.

I am opting out and opening up to the other professionals and messaging a couple who might be able to help.

Someone should be with you shortly.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No one get in touch with me until now...