Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Master's Degree
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550

Using version control methods and tools provides software

Customer Question

Using version control methods and tools provides software developers with a number of benefits, including the ability to maintain and control multiple versions, the tools to maintain detailed historical information on all versions, and the ability to automate source control operations that are invoked frequently. There are a number of control methodologies developers can employ and numerous version control software applications that are based on these methodologies.
Consider the following scenario: You are part of a development team that will start working on version 1.0 of a software project. The schedule indicates that this version needs to be available to customers in 6 months. After the release of version 1.0, the team will start work on the next version (2.0). A bug reporting system will be in place when the code is released for customers to report bugs against version 1.0, and the team intends to fix these bugs in both versions (1.0 and 2.0) in parallel. Once enough bugs are fixed in version 1.0, the team may release a new version 1.1, and then a subsequent version 1.2, and so on. However, bugs found during the development of version 2.0 will need to be analyzed to see if they also exist in version 1.0. For instance, if the development team determines that a bug filed against version 2.0 is also a bug in version 1.x, the team may need to fix that bug in both versions.
In order to keep track of the development and the versions under development, you will need a repository for the software that includes mechanisms for recording and tracking versions. Based on the above scenario, consider the best way to configure your repository to allow for maximum flexibility and maximum stability for your released code.
For this Assignment, develop a method for configuring and managing a software repository based on the above scenario. After creating the solution, research available version control tools, and select the tool you believe to be the best to implement your solution with. Create a 3- to 5-page paper that includes:
• A detailed description of how you would configure and manage your repository, focusing on required flexibility and stability
• A table of version control tools that you researched, including a description of each tool, and strengths and weaknesses of each tool with respect to your configuration solution
• The version control tool you decided on for implementation, along with a justification explaining why you believe this tool was the best fit
• A specification of how you would set up and configure the tool to effectively handle your solution
Category: Writing Homework
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Greg.

Is there any other information you can send to see if I can assist on it this for you? If you have any documents you can upload, you can do so to mediafire.com or box.com and share the link here with us.

If I had a model and could provide that as a model (would have to check files to see if I have one), would that be sufficient or are you seeking a fully written new model document?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need someone to help me writing this paper. My assignment is due tomorrow and I can not find any document to help me. Would you be able to provide me wih a sufficient document?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know what you need to know exactly. I already gave you the homework that I need to complete. Do you have an answer for it?