Cher
Cher, Teacher with Master's Degree
Experience:  MA, BA, Author, Teacher, Tutor 40+ years. Specialist in Language and Writing
1470369

My daughter is doing a research paper on Sacagawea,,,what

Customer Question

My daughter is doing a research paper on Sacagawea,,,what country did she sail from
Category: Writing Homework
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
also could you tell us what her main journey was and where it started, where she traveled and what she found and saw
Expert:  Cher replied 11 months ago.

Hello, Marybeth and welcome!

I would be glad to help your daughter with her research paper.

Please let me know by when she needs this information about Sacagawea.

Thanks,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 11 months ago.

Hi again, Marybeth.

Here is the information you requested, regarding Sacagawea:

She sailed from the United States with the Lewis and Clark expedition, leaving from the upper Missouri River area, which is now North Dakota. She was the only woman to go on this trip of exploration, because she was married to a French fur trader named

Toussaint Charbonneau who was traveling with Lewis and Clark and they felt that she would be helpful as an interpreter for her people, the Shoshone Indians. She had a baby son who she carried with her, on the journey.

They sailed west, up the river, into areas where no white men had ever been. They found much wildlife, including wolves, buffalo, bighorn sheep and ferocious grizzly bears. Sacagawea was very helpful in many ways, to the expedition. She knew how to find edible plants and knew a lot about wildlife. When a boat she was riding on, capsized, she was able to save some of the important things it was carrying, including valuable documents and supplies. In addition, she served as a symbol of peace, because a group traveling with a woman and a child would be regarded as less suspicious than a group of only men.

When the group encountered a group of Shoshone Indians, as they traveled west, she soon realized that its leader was actually her brother Cameahwait! It was because of her, that the expedition was able to buy horses from the Shoshone to cross the Rocky Mountains, because the river in Montana became impassable. Despite this wonderful family reunion, Sacagawea remained with the explorers to continue on the trip.

Sacagawea did not live a very long life, only 24 years; however, she was very important to the explorations of Lewis and Clark and without her, their expeditions would not have been as successful.

-----------------------------------

I hope this helped!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue.

Warmest regards ***** ***** Holidays,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 11 months ago.

Hello again, Marybeth.

I'm just following up with you to see if you found my answer helpful and/or if you need any additional information to help with your daughter's report.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Cher