Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Experience:  Inner-city high school substitute teacher. Degrees in mathemetics, accounting, and education. Years and years of tutoring.
29937297

Many U.S. states are debating about whether to allow stem cell

Customer Question

Many U.S. states are debating about whether to allow stem cell research to continue and expand. In your opinion, should stem cell research be permitted? Why or why not?
Category: Writing Homework
Expert:  Ray Atkinson replied 1 year ago.
Stem cell research is hotly debated. One side sees it as a possible road to curing many diseases, or more accurately, treating people who have them in hopes of curing them. The other side has seen that stem cells have been taken from aborted fetuses and tie it to the emotional issue of abortion. I know that (a) there are other ways to get stem cells, (b) the fetuses were not aborted for the use of stem cells as critics accuse, and (c) doctors are not aborting viable fetuses without their mother's permission as anti-abortion activists have threatened would happen. I feel that the stem cells could have a benefit for huge segments of the population and should be investigated with all needed moral safeguards in place.