Shawn P Adamo
Shawn P Adamo, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
Experience:  CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
15641319

Rime of the Ancient Mariner***** ***** ColeridgeWhere

Customer Question

Rime of the Ancient Mariner
***** ***** Coleridge
Where and when was this poem published?
Who is the mariner telling his story?
What sin does the mariner commit at the end of Part I?
What effects does this poor decision have? (numerous)
What happens to his shipmates (be specific)?
What does the mariner wear?
Why is the mariner forgiven?
What propels the ship?
Who eventually saves the mariner?
What penance must the mariner perform?
Category: Writing Homework
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gulliver’s Travels
Jonathan SwiftAnswer each of the following questions in complete sentences and with full explanationsPart #1: "A Voyage to Lilliput"
              1.   In Gulliver’s Travels, Swift satirizes the conflict between the Catholics and the Protestants by recounting a fictional tale about a conflict between the Little-Endians and the Big-Endians. Which sentence below is an example of how Swift makes the actual historical conflict seem silly through the telling of this tale? Explain why the answer you chose is correct.a. “It is allowed on all hands, that the primitive way of breaking eggs before we eat them was upon the large end . . . ”
b. “ . . . but his present Majesty’s grandfather, while he was a boy, going to eat an egg, and breaking it according to the ancient practice, happened to cut one of his fingers.”
c. “Whereupon the Emperor, his father, published an edict, commanding all his subjects, upon great penalties, to break the smaller end of their eggs.”
d. “These civil commotions were constantly fomented by the monarchs of Blefescu; and when they were quelled, the exiles always fled for refuge to that empire.”
                  2. Many of Swift’s opinions about the conflict between England and France need to be interpreted from the fictional story that he tells in Gulliver’s Travels. What can you interpret about Swift’s view of the two countries from the following quote: “Besides, our histories of six thousand moons make no mention of any other regions, than the two great empires of Lilliput and Blefescu”?

3. Gulliver is described as a giant in size compared to the inhabitants of Lilliput and Blefescu. How does this difference in size serve to reinforce Swift’s opinion about the rift between England and France as presented in Gulliver’s Travels? Cite one or two examples from the text to support your answer.

4. In Gulliver’s Travels, after Gulliver captures the entire fleet of the Blefuscudians and brings it to Lilliput, why does he refuse to assist the king of Lilliput in reducing the Blefuscudian empire into a province of Lilliput?
 Part #1: "A Voyage to Brobdingnag"
1. In the excerpt from  “A Voyage to Brobdingnag” from Gulliver’s Travels, Gulliver finds himself in a  kingdom of giants. What can you infer about the King’s attitude toward Gulliver’s accounts of his homeland from the following quotation from Gulliver:“But I confess, that after I had been a little too copious in talking of my own beloved country, of our trade, and wars by sea and land, of our schisms in religion, and parties in the state, the prejudices of his education prevailed so far, that he could not forbear taking me up in his right hand, and stroking me gently with the other, after an hearty fit of laughing, asked me whether I was a Whig or A Tory.”Explain why your answer choice is correct.
a.   The King is interested in learning about Gulliver’s political connections.
b.   The King finds England’s politics and society, based on Gulliver’s account of
them, to be ridiculous.
c.   The King thinks that Gulliver told him a joke.
d.   The King did not understand what Gulliver said.

2. How does the King’s huge size in relation to Gulliver’s small size serve to emphasize Swift’s satire of English politics and society? Support your answer with one or two examples from Gulliver’s Travels.

3. In Gulliver’s Travels based on the King’s reactions to Gulliver’s account of events in English society, what can you infer about the state of the King’s society? Explain why your answer choice is correct.
    a.   It is peaceful.
     b.   It is primitive.
     c.   It is poor.
     d.   It is warlike.

4. In “A Voyage to Brobdingnag” from Gulliver’s Travels, Gulliver tells stories about England that reflect his pride in his country’s accomplishments and position in the world. The King’s reactions to these stories, however, surprise and embarrass Gulliver. What can you interpret about Swift’s motives for including the following quotation, “Nothing but an extreme love of truth could have hindered me from concealing this part of my story”?

5. Based on the way that the word odious is used in the text, which word is the synonym for odious? Explain why your answer choice is correct. Use evidence from the text, not just a dictionary definition.
     a.   beautiful
     b.   sneaky
     c.   disgusting
     d.   small

6. Gulliver describes the composition and uses of gunpowder to the King in a very graphic way, provoking a strong reaction from the King. Based on this scene, what can you interpret about Swift’s views on warfare? Support your answer with one or two examples from Gulliver’s Travels.
Expert:  Shawn P Adamo replied 1 year ago.
This question is underpriced. I suggested 60.00
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was suppose to be the free trial unlimited answers for seven days because I got a membership.
OK. I have opted out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you going to answer.
NO. I have "opted out" . I am not willing to assist. The question has been opened for other experts to answer. Apparently they have not chosen to assist either.