Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Master's Degree
Experience:  Masters in Literature and a Bachelors Degree in French with Management
65126503

Discuss the importance of having policies and procedures as

Customer Question

Discuss the importance of having policies and procedures as well as a Business Continuity plan in place with your peers. Provide at least one example of a preventable issue that could take place without a proper policy structure or disaster recovery plan.
Category: Writing Homework
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the same as last time... It's a discussion board post. So about 2 good paragraphs please. And if you can source a reference that would be great. Thanks!!!
Expert:  asciandwildlife replied 1 year ago.
Great, I would be glad to assist. If you have any notes, please post the, :) When is this answer due?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tonight would be nice... But tomorrow night is ok. The following is the beginning of the discussion board that I am supposed to expand upon.*Brian Richards
Getting StartedOne of the responsibilities we have as IT professionals is have clear, easily understood explanations for concepts that have a wide impact with users, and this is definitely an area where your explanations can serve to both reduce paranoia and focus people on what is actually needed.In your explanation of the business continuity and policies related to it, be sure to be clear on both the terms you are sing and the types of organizations about which you are discussing. As you find helpful resources, please post them in this thread to share them with your classmates . . . and keep an eye here all week for additional help for your own posts!
Edited · Wed May 27, 2015 at 9:03 am · Like · Reply*Brian Richards
Here's an article at the SANS Reading Room that might give you a few things to think about. The title is 'Beyond Buy-In: The Case for Executive Level Involvement in Developing a Business Continuity Plan.'To what degree do you think this applies to our discussion this week?Web Link
http://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/r ...
http://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/recovery/buy-in-case-executive-level-involvement-developing-business-continuity-plan-1626
Tue Jun 16, 2015 at 4:16 am · Like · Reply*Brian Richards
Keep in mind that we're discussing two different concepts here, and there is nothing wrong with creating separate posts for each.
Wed Jun 17, 2015 at 11:32 am · Like · Reply*Joseph Ming
Having policies and procedures in the business place is very important as it gives an outline as to what will and will not be tolerated while working. Things that are included in the policies and procedures are HR guidelines and the code of ethics. Many businesses use these across the board for the entire company as a baseline for how business is ran with employees and customers alike. The Business Continuity plan is important in it dictates how to keep the business running at all times. This is not the disaster recovery plan, as many people think that it is, but rather just a long terms solution to keep business operations smoothly running during reduced or restricted infrastructure. A disaster recovery plan is used in a mainly IT spectrum, so that there is a short term way to maintain the IT infrastructure. At my current job we use a hot site along with pretty much quadruple redundancy.Almost any kind of issue that could possible arise can be prevented by having policies and procedures in place. If there is an insider threat, having an authorized access policy in place limits the amount of damage that one individual could create. If there is a temporary power outage with the server room in a business, having at least a warm location set up will create the business continuity that many business are looking to have.ReferencesLabSim Online Labs. (2013). Labsim for TestOut’s Security Pro, CompTIA’s Security+ and (ISC)2 ’s SSCP certifications (Exam SY0-301). Pleasant Grove, UT.
Today at 9:21 am · Like · Reply*Brian Richards
I'm really glad you pointed out the difference between BC and DR. This is crtiical to infosec policies because so many things we do under DR conditions violates good security posture . . . but in the context of business continuity adherence to good security helps us to achieve our business goals more easily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wait I just noticed who was answering this question.... What are you qualifications?
I am a writing expert and have answered over 1000 questions positively. I have many years of experience with grant and business writing, English composition, and biology from elementary to graduate level.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I specified a computer and IT specialist... Especially Information Systems and Security.... Can you place this order for WesPCDr only?
I will have a moderator contact WesPCDr, and I will opt out :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You very much!
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I am Josie, a moderator for this topic.
There is no need to repost or relist this question, I have sent a message to your requested Expert to respond to you when he is back online.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If WesPCDr is not available please refer this to Russell H.