Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Master's Degree
Experience:  Masters in Literature and a Bachelors Degree in French with Management
65126503

Create an activity that will contribute to the development

Customer Question

Create an activity that will contribute to the development of each of the following literacy areas in the home: phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and reading comprehension. Along with the activity, include materials that would be easily
accessible and inexpensive in the home and instructional tips to make the activity successful. Please include clipart with your work. Submit in the forum no later than Thursday, May 21st
Category: Writing Homework
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Greg.
I see this might be time sensitive.
Do you still need this answered?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I need it by the tonight if possible. It really is a short assignment, I just won't have computer access later on. If you could just make sure it has a reference or two and is original because it does need to be turned in to a website that checks for originality. Can you help please? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh yes I forgot to mention, this is a collaborative assignment and someone else is doing the same project as I am. Therefore, I need to make sure it not like hers. This is what she posted for her work so I need to make it like this but with different activities. Thanks...
PHONEMIC AWARENESS
“RHYMING GAME”-Pick a single syllable word such as “cat” and then take turns with your child staying words that rhyme with “cat” such as hat, bat, fat, sat, mat, etc. When the child can no longer think of “cat” rhyming words change the word and start again. Making sure to take turns picking the word and alternating turns saying rhyming words.PHONICS
“GO-FISH” – This is a creative game that is a fun way to practice various phonics skills with your children. To play, have a deck of go fish cards. Hand each player eight cards. Give them instructions based on the phonics skill you want to focus on “beginning sound, ending sound, etc.” Example: Ask your child if he/she has a card that begins with the ____ sound. The child will then look for a card with the corresponding sound. If they do not have the card, they say “go fish” and the person draws a card from the fish pond.FLUENCY
“READ TO YOUR CHILD” – The most effective way you can influence your child’s fluency skills is by reading aloud with them at home. Have your child pick out a book (even if it is the same book night after night) and read it aloud together. Your child will look forward to this time with you and he/she will be learning to read more fluently at the same time.VOCABULARY
“WORD WALK” – Similar to a cake walk at a party, all you need is some music (age appropriate), some note cards (sheets of paper will also work), a marker and your child’s vocabulary for that week. Write each vocabulary word on a separate sheet of paper and place them in a circle on the floor. Instruct your child to walk around the circle on each word while the music plays. When the music stops, have your child tell you what word they are standing on and its meaning (if applicable). You can even extend this activity and ask your child to use the word in a sentence. This activity gets your child moving around, learning their vocabulary while increasing their understanding of vocabulary while having fun!READING COMPREHENSION
“READERS THEATER” – This activity is a “dramatic presentation of a written work in script form” (Teaching Heart, 2008). Have your child read from a script using voice and expressive gestures. Lines do not need to be memorized and costumes do not need to be designed and worn. With Reader’s Theater, students have the opportunity to read, re-read, and read again their scripts as they practice them before performing the written piece. This improves fluency as well as comprehension of text.
The following is a website that has multiple stories ready for students to use in Reader’s Theater. www.teachingheart.net/readerstheater.htm
References
Teaching Heart. (2008). Readers Theater Scripts and Plays. Retrieved from Teaching Heart: http://www.teachingheart.net/readerstheater.htm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And it needs to have some clip art with it next to the activity.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not received a response from you since early this morning and this needs to be done today. Can you please opt out of this now as I have another expert who I am talking to now who can help me for sure? Thank you and sorry you couldn't get back to me sooner.
Sorry about that delay. Unfortunately I will not be able to help today in this short time frame but messaging a couple who might be able to help. Someone will hopefully be with you shortly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need you to opt out. I have someone who can help but she can't view this question until you opt out. Thank you