Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Master's Degree
Experience:  Masters in Literature and a Bachelors Degree in French with Management
65126503

Network Design PaperUMUC has recently acquired a building

Customer Question

Network Design Paper

UMUC has recently acquired a building in Frederick, Maryland. This new building will house some administrative offices, lecture rooms, library, and computer labs.

Building dimensions:

Length: 240 Feet

Width: 95 Feet

Height: 30 Feet

The 40-year-old two-story building has the following existing layout:

Student Lobby

Office (Admission)

Office (Dean)

Classroom

Office

(Student

Services)

Library

Classroom

(Computer Lab)

Office (IT)

Classroom

(Computer Lab)

Server

Room

240 Feet

4

0

F

e

e

t

4

0

F

e

e

t

Frederick Campus First Floor Layout

Closet

Closet

Classroom

(Computer Lab)

Classroom

Classroom

Office

(Faculty)

Office (HR)

240 Feet

4

0

F

e

e

t

4

0

F

e

e

t

Frederick Campus Second Floor Layout

Classroom

Office (Faculty)

Student Computer Lab

Closet

U Closet

U Closet

Server

Room

Classroom

(Computer Lab)

Classroom

(Computer Lab)

Classroom

(Computer Lab)

Closet

There will be six computer labs that will be used for instruction. Each of these labs will have 21 computers (20 student computers and 1 instructor computer). Each of these labs will also have a server in the closet located inside the lab.

In addition to the six computer labs, there will also be a Student Computer Lab that will provide computer access to students to do their homework. There will be 30 computers in this lab and a server in the closet.

The library will also have some computers to allow students access to the library resources. There will be 10 computers for student’s use in the library, and 5 computers for Library staff.

There are four lecture classrooms in the building. Each of this room will have a computer for instructor’s use.

Finally, there are various offices in the building. Each of these offices will have one computer for the staff use, with the exception of the Admission office that will have 5 computers for staff use.

Equipment Inventory Workstation

Placement

Number of

Workstations

Users

Total WS

6 Instructional

Computer labs

21 WS

Student and

Instructor

126 WS

(based on 20 WS for students and 1 WS for instructor on each lab * 6 labs)

Student Computer Lab

30 WS

Student

30 WS

6 Various Offices

1 WS

Staff

6 WS

1 Admission office

5 WS

Staff

5 WS

Library

10 WS

Student

10 WS

Library

5 WS

Staff

5 WS

4 Instructional Classrooms

1 WS

Instructor

4 WS Total

Server

?

Staff

To be determined by students

Network Connecting

Devices

?

IT Staff

To be determined by students

Printers

?

Staff

To be determined by student

Printers

?

Instructional

To be determined by student

Category: Writing Homework
Expert:  itgurukitty replied 11 months ago.

itgurukitty :

?

itgurukitty :

homework?

itgurukitty :

its all still the same......routher - 1 or 2 switches - with fiber optics, going to other switches in other buildings, perhaps with wifi.....then cat5 to PC's, or wireless -

Customer :

this is homework

Customer :

it is kind of hard to read with the copy and paste format. can I email it to you?

Customer :

the paper also mentions:

Customer :

Two server rooms have been allocated, one on the first floor and one on the second floor.

Your task is to design the network for this new building with the following criteria:

• Student-accessed computers should be on separate network from the staff-accessed computers. There should be at least 3 separate networks: Administrative, Instructional, and Public. All staff-accessed computers will be on the Administrative network. The computers in the instructional computer labs and classrooms that will be used for classes should be on the Instructional network. The wifi and the computers in the student lobby should be in the Public network.

• The whole building will share one Internet access connection (T-1 link from Verizon). This connection will come into the Server Room on the first floor. The Public IP address for the router here is 191.1.15.1

• Security is very important for UMUC as we have to protect students and employees data as well as any intellectual property that UMUC has on the servers and computers.

• The network has been assigned the 10.15.0.0 network address for all computers and devices.

• The network should use physical cable (not wireless), but do provide wireless access in the Student Lobby area.

Submission should include (in no more than three pages, excluding diagrams and references): Network Addressing:

1. Define the subnet (based on: rooms, floor, department, or other criteria).

2. For each subnet, explain which devices/groups/users/rooms will be on this subnet, define the network address, subnet mask, and available IP addresses to be used by computers or devices.

Physical Network Design:

1. Define the topology that will be used.

2. Select the appropriate network media to use.

3. Select the appropriate network connecting devices to use.

4. Physical layout of the computers on the floor plan.

5. List of additional servers or network devices needed to implement the network.

6. Justifications for your network design (number 1 – 5 above)

itgurukitty :

We dont write home work for ppl - you need to do your own work.

Customer :

Ok I wont be charged correct?

Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 11 months ago.
Hello. I am a moderator for this topic. I apologize for any confusion, your question was incorrectly posted in the Networking category. I have moved it to the Homework category for you. Thank you for your patience while we search for a professional to assist you. You will receive an email notification as soon as you have a new reply.

Best,

Angela
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Willi be charged?

Thank you for your patience. We are continuing to search for a professional to assist you. I've marked your question high priority and you'll receive an email notification as soon as you have a new reply.
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I have completed this assignment before and have attached a model document you can use

https://www.box.com/shared/54im9r7wxndgtgp62h9d

Let me know

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

This doesn't really help me. I'm just going to do it in my own.

It was offered as a model for you to work from. Alternatively I could have done it from scratch but as you have provided a negative rating that isn't something I would be willing to help with now.

Cheers

Steve