verbsrule
verbsrule, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  8 yrs teaching experience in English and history. Writing consultant.
44340502

Need assistance with a Legal Writing Exercise 3. For this

Customer Question

Need assistance with a Legal Writing Exercise 3.

For this exercise you’ll write an internal office memorandum
to your supervising attorney that advises him or her of the
results of your research on a given topic and applies the law
to the facts in your case. Remember, for an internal office
memo, your purpose is to inform your supervising attorney
as to what your research has found, not to persuade the
reader one way or another.
Fact Scenario
XXXXX XXXXX sued his dentist, Dr. Thomas Furlow, claiming
he was injured as a result of Dr. Furlow’s failure to extract
an infected tooth on August 3, when he was examined by
Dr. Furlow. After his appointment with Dr. Furlow, ignoring
Dr. Furlow’s recommendation to return because his tooth was
infected, Brown left to go on vacation. While he was camping
in the desert, his tooth became more severely infected. The
infection spread, causing him severe pain and fever and
endangering his life. Brown passed out in the desert and was
found by a passerby, who rushed him to the hospital. His life
was saved, but he incurred significant medical expense, loss
of income, and pain and suffering.
Furlow was served with a complaint on March 1. The summons
stated that he had 20 days to file an answer or that judgment
could be entered against him. Furlow took the complaint home
with him and put it in the safe in his study. Later, he phoned
his attorney, who asked him when he had been served and
made an appointment for March 19.
On Thursday, March 18, Furlow’s house was robbed and
the contents of the safe, along with money and jewelry, were
taken. Fearing for the safety of his wife and children, Furlow
took his family and went to his mother-in-law’s residence,
approximately four hours away. The appointment with his
attorney that morning was forgotten and he spent the weekend
with his family at his mother-in-law’s residence.
Upon his return on Monday, March 22, Dr. Furlow rescheduled
his appointment with his attorney for March 23. Meanwhile, on March 23, a default judgment was entered
against Furlow. Furlow’s attorney phoned the court clerk the
afternoon of March 23 and was told that a default judgment
had been entered. He immediately filed a motion to set aside
the default judgment.
You are the attorney’s paralegal and are instructed to review
the two cases he believes are on point in this case and the
applicable statutes. After reading the material, prepare a
memorandum explaining whether they are applicable, favorable
or unfavorable, and how they relate to the facts in this case.

http://lessons.pennfoster.com/pdf/008033.pdf
Category: Writing Homework
Expert:  verbsrule replied 11 months ago.

verbsrule :

Hi there!

Can you please provide some more details to help with answering your question? What level of law is this? Also, what state? And finally, when do you require an answer?

Thank you,

Gwyn

Customer :

No idea what level of law. No idea what state. I provided you with the only information I have. The link that is on there will show you the whole assignment. There is 2 case studies that you must use. I need it asap.

verbsrule :

Unfortunately, I'd be unable to proceed without further information. I will open your question to other Experts.

Gwyn

Customer :

There shouldn't be anymore information you need. You are only allowed to use the information provided. You have to click on the link provided to get the two case studies.

Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find another professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Best,

Angela

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes that is fine to wait

Thank you for your patience while we continue to search for a professional to assist you.

We appreciate your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the professional with the right expertise to come online. Please let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!

Best,

Angela

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes please continue looking. All this is is a memo that has to be typed up with the information provided by the link. I am confused because I am not a paralegal and don't understand it

I have marked your question high priority and you’ll receive an email notification as soon as you have a new reply.
Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right professional. Nevertheless, because you are entitled to your money back with no questions asked, we will process your refund immediately, upon your request. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you and please process the refund