Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Master's Degree
Experience:  Masters in Literature and a Bachelors Degree in French with Management
65126503

help with writing a cybersecurity research paper due Sunday

Customer Question

help with writing a cybersecurity research paper due Sunday @11:59 pm.
Category: Writing Homework
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 1 year ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I will be happy to help, can you let me know the full details of what is needed?

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

Hi Steve i'm on the Eastern side so I'm just getting this if you are still available to help. Here are the details

Customer:

1. Using information provided in Constantin (2012) or Perlroth (2012), choose a software vulnerability that was exploited by the Sykipot malware. Research this vulnerability using information provided in the article and one of the following: National Vulnerabilities Database, US-CERT’s Vulnerability Notes, and/or the vendor’s website. Describe the vulnerability and how it was exploited by the Sykipot malware. What mitigations or remediation (e.g. fixes or patches) have been made available to address the vulnerability?

I am going to choose the topic of when the government discovered that there was an issue with the discovery of Sykipot attacks through smart cards. In accordance, with “Malicious Software Attacks Security Cards Used by Pentagon”written by Nicole Perlroth; the incident was discovered January 2011. Hackers had discovered that they could use the smart cards to get into the systems through the utilization of the ActivClient program used by agencies such as Defense Department, Department of Homeland Security, Coast Guard, Social Security Administration, Treasury Department and other government agencies, along with businesses including Monsanto, BNP Paribas and Air France. The hackers are able to log onto a server or network using the employee’s credentials. The hacker would then direct the malware of where to go in order to steal what is needed.

1. Also, pick a malware of your choice and discuss the how the malware functions, which vulnerability it exploits and what was its initial impact?

In reading the American Banker I discovered a recent malware attack on a banking company. “Banking Malware Dominate New Mobile Security Threats: McAfee”, by Penny Crosman informs the public of a company’s findings of more than 17,000 strains of malware that targeted android devices within a three-month period. The malware in some forms would capture a bank customer’s user name and password XXXXX intercept SMS messages the bank send to the customer for authentication. Through that the malicious parties then directly access the account and transfer funds. They also target the banks and online auctions for phishing.

Resources:

Constantin, L. (2012, July 4). Sykipot malware used in attacks on aerospace industry. Computer World. Retrieved fromhttp://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9228789/Sykipot_malware_used_in_attacks_on_aerospace_industry

Perlroth, N. (2012, January 12). Malicious software attacks security cards used by Pentagon. The New York Times. Retrieved from http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/12/malicious-software-attacks-security-cards-used-by-pentagon/

Crosman, P. (2013, August 23). Banking Malware Dominates New Mobile Security Threats: McAfee. American Banker. Retrieved from http://www.americanbanker.com/issues/178_164/banking-malware-dominates-new-mobile-security-threats-mcafee-1061540-1.html

Customer:

disregard wrong stuff

Steve Herrod :

Ok, that is no problem to have with you tomorrow

Steve Herrod :

is there an indication of how long it needs to be (pages/words)?

Customer:

hi I'm getting the real details now

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Customer:

is there a website that you would like me to link the information too

Steve Herrod :

you can use wikisend - if you go to wikisend.com

Steve Herrod :

choose upload and attach the details

Steve Herrod :

it will give you a link I can use to download it

Steve Herrod :

or you can e-mail anything toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX for my attention

Steve Herrod :

and include a link to this thread

Customer:

ok i'll send it to you now

Customer:

via wikisend

Steve Herrod :

thanks

Steve Herrod :

ok

Customer:

http://wikisend.com/download/654822/Detailed Assignment Descriptions_Research Paper.pdf

Steve Herrod :

got it

Steve Herrod :

will send through tomorrow by 5PM

Customer:

It doesn't matter what topic is choosen

Customer:

I am on EST time so I will need it by 1159pm EST

Steve Herrod :

ok

Steve Herrod :

will be with you by 5PM Eastern

Customer:

okay thank youu

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Customer:

hi are you okay

Steve Herrod :

Yes, will have this with you as discussed

Steve Herrod :

Here is the paper

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Steve Herrod :

Let me know if you got this ok

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

I received the paper and await my professor response

Steve Herrod :

Great, glad you got it OK

Customer:

Hi I have been locked out of just answer and was just able to get online since that day...I never got to say thank you after

Customer:

I received a B on the paper which is more than I would have expected if I had to do it at that moment. Thank you.

Steve Herrod, Master's Degree
Experience: Masters in Literature and a Bachelors Degree in French with Management
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I may actually need your help again this time with a brief memo and a presentation. My laptop is currently with Geek Squad because it has a black screen and keeps going in and out.

Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 11 months ago.
Thanks - unfortunately it's in a category I cannot access. The earliest I could complete it for would be early Tuesday morning though.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

That would be good

Unfortunately I will not be able to work on it unless the category is changed. It might be worth replying to the current expert and advising that early Tuesday is possible and then they may be able to assist?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

okay thank you for the help that you were able to assist with

no problem