Owen
Owen, Attending Physician
Experience:  I teach medical students and residents with title of Asst. Professor
18703594

The body of a young woman in her reproductive years is found

Customer Question

The body of a young woman in her reproductive years is found dead under suspicious circumstances, and the possibility that she may have recently undergone a criminal abortion cannot be excluded. Discuss how the forensic pathologist must manage the case, keeping in mind the possible causes of death.
Category: Writing Homework
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Josie and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi I am still waiting for a answer. I still need assistance. Please provide me with a thorough answer by Friday morning latest.

Kind Regards

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello

Thank you, we will continue to look for a professional to assist you. We can not predict or guarantee response time, just because the volume of questions, number of professionals online, complexity of questions, and other factors vary. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Josie~Moderator
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 1 year ago.
We appreciate your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the professional with the right expertise to come online. Please let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!

Best,

Angela

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there I need an answer by latest tomorrow lunch time - if not I would like you to close this question. I did ask the question on Wednesday and five days have passed, I would have thought a detailed answer would have arisen by now as I did state it was urgent when I initially requested an answer.

Thank you for your patience while we continue to search for a professional to assist you.

I have marked your question high priority and you’ll receive an email notification as soon as you have a new reply.
Expert:  Owen replied 1 year ago.

I'm an ob/gyn - is this something I can help you with?

What do you need specifically?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi it is a legal question that deals with forensic law. I require a detailed answer for an assignment I have due, just to lead me towards the right direction.

Expert:  Owen replied 1 year ago.
I can give you MEDICAL per Ob/Gyn information - not law..does that help?
Expert:  Owen replied 1 year ago.
I can help with such things as what could have gone wrong, and what might have happened afterwards too.
Expert:  Owen replied 1 year ago.

Let me discuss from an ob/gyn perspective what the pathologist must do.

1. First cultures must be taken to check for any signs of infection - which means that if there is an infection - she was not treated appropropriately for either what is known as perforation ( a hole in the uterus, and or the bowel).

2. So, the pathologist must also check the Uterus for a Perforation - a Perforation is easily done when an abortion is done and not in 'skilled' hands.

3. A Perforation or injury to the bowel should also be check - because an injury or perforation to the bowel can lead to severe Sepsis (an Extreme infection).

4. Also, the Vagina, cervix and uterus should NEVER be injured during the abortion procedure - so any lacerations to the vagina, cervix and or uterus should be checked.

5. In addition, any remaining parts of the fetus should be checked - to see if there is remaining parts of the placenta - which is always a very high likelihood in any abortion, especially illegal abortion.

6. Blood volume, or the hemoglobin / hematocrit should be checked, because, sometimes, an abortion can literally deplete the body of its entire blood supply within a matter of about 2 to 5 minutes, especially if an injury is made to the Uterine artery on the side of the uterus.

7. Look also for any evidence of forced penetration in the vagina and also the rectum - as many times the rectum is damaged during an abortion procedure - or that 'free sex' might have been had by someone doing this procedure or helping in this procedure.

8. Check to see if any pain medications were use, and a toxicology report should be done to see what medications were used, sometimes illegal substances are used such as marijuana, heroin, cocaine and other illegal substances are used to get the patient comfortable for this painful procedure.

9. Finally the urinary tract should be checked too - for any injuries to the bladder and the urethra - as small lacerations and/ or perforation can occur to instruments used during the abortion procedure.

I hope this helps
Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you
Thank you
Dr Owen (Ob/Gyn expert)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there I require a legal answer, thank you so much for your assistance though.

Please close this question and refund me.

Kind Regards

Expert:  Owen replied 1 year ago.
Your question was....How might a Forensic pathologist handle the case....I did give you that answer...