David L.
David L., Writer
Experience:  20+ years writing research, tech, white papers, and more
13852270

Network Design Paper (Due by Aug 12th) UMUC has recently acquired

Network Design Paper (Due by Aug 12th)
UMUC has recently acquired a building in Frederick, Maryland. This new building will house some administrative offices, lecture rooms, library, and computer labs.
Building dimensions:
Length: 240 Feet
Width: 95 Feet
Height: 30 Feet
The 40-year-old two-story building has the following existing layout:

There will be six computer labs that will be used for instruction. Each of these labs will have 21 computers (20 student computers and 1 instructor computer). Each of these labs will also have a server in the closet located inside the lab.
In addition to the six computer labs, there will also be a Student Computer Lab that will provide computer access to students to do their homework. There will be 30 computers in this lab and a server in the closet.
The library will also have some computers to allow students access to the library resources. There will be 10 computers for student’s use in the library, and 5 computers for Library staff.
There are four lecture classrooms in the building. Each of this room will have a computer for instructor’s use.
Finally, there are various offices in the building. Each of these offices will have one computer for the staff use, with the exception of the Admission office that will have 5 computers for staff use.

Equipment Inventory:
Workstation Placement # XXXXX Workstations Users Total Workstation
6 instructional comp labs 21 WS Student & Instructors 126WS (based on 20WS for students and 1 WS for instructor on each lab *6)
Student Computer Lab 30 WS Student 30 WS
6 Various Office 1 WS Staff 6 WS
1 Admission Office 5 WS Staff 5 WS
Library 10 WS Student 10 WS
Library 5 WS Staff 5 WS
4 Instructional Classes 1 WS Instructor 4 WS total
Server ? Staff TBD by students
Networking Connecting Device ? IT Staff ""
Printers ? Staff ""

Two server rooms have been allocated, one on the first floor and one on the second floor.
Your task is to design the network for this new building with the following criteria:
 Student-accessed computers should be on separate network from the staff-accessed computers. There should be at least 3 separate networks: Administrative, Instructional, and Public. All staff-accessed computers will be on the Administrative network. The computers in the instructional computer labs and classrooms that will be used for classes should be on the Instructional network. The wifi and the computers in the student lobby should be in the Public network.
 The whole building will share one Internet access connection (T-1 link from Verizon). This connection will come into the Server Room on the first floor. The Public IP address for the router here is 191.1.15.1
 Security is very important for UMUC as we have to protect students and employees data as well as any intellectual property that UMUC has on the servers and computers.
 The network has been assigned the 10.15.0.0 network address for all computers and devices.
 The network should use physical cable (not wireless), but do provide wireless access in the Student Lobby area.
Submission should include (in no more than three pages, excluding diagrams and references):
Network Addressing:
1. Define the subnet (based on: rooms, floor, department, or other criteria).
2. For each subnet, explain which devices/groups/users/rooms will be on this subnet, define the network address, subnet mask, and available IP addresses to be used by computers or devices.
Physical Network Design:
1. Define the topology that will be used.
2. Select the appropriate network media to use.
3. Select the appropriate network connecting devices to use.
4. Physical layout of the computers on the floor plan.
5. List of additional servers or network devices needed to implement the network.
6. Justifications for your network design (number 1 – 5 above)
You will be evaluated on your ability to
o Implement appropriate IP addressing scheme
o Select and justify appropriate cable media that includes the length of each cable segment and number of nodes on each segment
o Select and justify appropriate topology such as star, bus, or ring for your network
o Select and justify of your selected network equipments
o Select and justify appropriate network services to meet network requirements
o Select and justify security implementation for the network
o Use proper grammar, formatting, network terminology, and reference citations
Feel free to use any drawings or attachments, and assume any number of computers or users (not when provided here). You will be graded on the basis of right media, topology and knowledge of network concepts.
Category: Writing Homework
Expert:  David L. replied 1 year ago.

Please click the link below to download a report that can be used as a template for this assignment:

click here

Please let me know if you have any questions about the report template.

Thanks,

David.
David L., Writer
Experience: 20+ years writing research, tech, white papers, and more