Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Master's Degree
Experience:  Masters in Literature and a Bachelors Degree in French with Management
65126503

RA hg

Customer Question

Please answer the attached question about the Novel Of Mice and Men. Please let me know how I can attached the questions.
Category: Writing Homework
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX for visiting Just Answer.

Sorry for the long delay. Many experts have reviewed your question so far, but no one at this time has felt comfortable trying to help. The question may be just to difficult or not informative enough or priced to low.

If you would like me to try and help, is there anything else you can add to your original post giving me more details. Are there any files or extra information (rubrics, etc) that you can add to your post to provide more information for us professionals as we review the material? You can either upload items by using the paperclip in the toolbar here at JustAnswer or by uploading the information to mediafire.com or box.com and then sharing the link here.

Any further information you can provide as well as a deadline for response would be greatly appreciated.

:-)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I need this back by Wed evening. I cannot find the paper clip but I can cut and paste the information in three parts. This is the first part:

Section 3 - Directions: Answer these questions in complete sentences.

1. What caused George to stop playing mean-spirited jokes on Lennie?

1. What detail is added to the Weed story when George confides in Slim?

1. Carlson offers a simple solution to the problem of Candy’s dog’s smell and feebleness: shot it. Slim concurs, saying that the old dog only suffers. What is the significance of this scene?

1. When Carlson starts to take Candy’s dog out to be shot, Slim reminds him to “take a shovel.” What does he mean?

1. The discussion of Curley’s wife leads Whit to invite Geoge to come with the other men “to old Susy’s place.” What is “old Susy’s place,” and what purpose does it serve in the novel?

1. What is Candy’s reaction to the gunshot and later to Carlson cleaning his gun?

1. What is the attraction off the vision of the farm and the rabbits to Candy?

1. Why does Candy say that he should have shot his own dog?

1. Why is Slim angry with Curley when they return to the bunk house?

1. Why does Curley attack Lennie?

Character Analysis

Characterization is the method used by a writer to develop how the character looks, acts, and thinks.

Directions: Read the following passage from the novel and answer the questions that follow it. Refer directly to the passage for support. Answer in complete sentences.

“He ain’t no cuckoo,” said George. “He’s dumb as hell, but he ain’t crazy. An’ I ain’t so bright neither, or I wouldn’t by buckin’ barley for my fifty and found. If I was bright, if I was even a little bit smart, I’d have my own little place, an’ I’d be bringin’ in my own crops, ‘stead of doin’ all the work and not getting what comes up outa the ground.” George fell silent. He wanted to talk. Slim neither encouraged nor discouraged him. He just sat back quiet and receptive.

1. Why does George feel that he’s not intelligent?

1. Why does George need to talk?

1. Why does Slim neither encourage nor discourage George from talking?

Thematic Analysis

A theme is a general concept or idea, such as love, justice or sorrow. One way to help you think of themes is to complete the following sentence: “This is a book about _________________.” The theme of the American Dream permeates John Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men; several of the major characters seek a version of the American Dream.

Directions: Answer the following questions in complete sentences.

1. What is the “American Dream”?

1. Specifically, what “American Dream” are each characters persuing? Use examples from the book (with page numbers).

• George

• Lennie

• Candy

Literary Analysis: Point of View

The point of view is the way that the narrator sees the events in the story. Of Mice and Men is written from an objective, third-person point of view. The benefit of this choice is the reader is aware of everything that happens in the novel. The drawback is that the reader cannot enter into the thoughts and emotions of any one character. Use this opportunity to explore the effects of using a first-person point of view from the story.

Directions: In the space provided, rewrite one page from Section 3 in the first person (use I, me, my). View the scene through the eyes of any of the following characters: George, Slim, Lennie, Carlson, Candy, Crooks, or Curley. Add feelings and ideas that are consistent with the character’s personality. Include the page reference for the passage you are rewriting.

First-Person Rewrite:

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

2nd part:

Section 4 - Directions: Answer these questions in complete sentences.

1. Curley’s wife is lonely because she’s a woman. Candy is lonely because of his age. Why is Crooks lonely?

1. Why does Lennie wander into Crooks room?

1. Why is Crooks rude to Lennie?

1. What is Crooks’ initial evaluation of Lennie?

1. How does Crooks taunt Lennie?

1. Why does Crooks relent in his taunting of Lennie?

1. What does Curley’s wife suspect about Curley’s injury?

1. What is Curley’s wife’s reaction to the dream of the farm with the rabbits?

1. How does the promise of the farm embolden Candy and Crooks?

1. Why does Crooks abandon the dream of the farm?

Character Analysis: Crooks

Characterization is the method used by a writer to develop how the character looks, acts, and thinks. Finding connections is one way to improve your critical thinking skills.

Directions: Read the following passage, then respond to the questions to understand how one character fits into the novel.

Crooks laughed again. “A guy can talk to you an’ be sure you won’t go blabbin’. Couple of weeks an’ them pups’ll be all right. George knows what he’s about. Jus’ talks, an’ you don’t understand nothing.” He leaned forward excitedly. “This is just a ni**er talkin’, an’ a busted-back ni**er. So it don’t mean nothing, see? You couldn’t remember it anyways. I seen it over an’ over – a guy talkin’ to another guy and it don’t make no difference.” His excitement had increased until he pounded his knee with his hand. “George can tell you screwy things, and it don’t matter. It’s just the talking. It’s just bein’ with another guy. That’s all.”

1. Do Crooks’ thoughts in this passage reflect any of the thoughts of the novel’s other characters?

1. How does Crooks’ race contribute to his outcast nature?

1. What is the significance of talking to “another guy” to Crooks?

1. Why does Crooks emphasize hiss race in this passage?

1. What would it take for Crooks to feel any degree of acceptance among the workers?

Setting

When an object represents a concept or idea, it is called symbolism. There are many symbols in Of Mice and Men. This activity demonstrates how place in the novel can symbolize emotions or ideas. Although you may not fully understand everything each place represents until you finish the novel, you should have a fairly good idea at this point in the story. This activity asks you to think about the complex ideas represented by simple places. Considering these elements more carefully increases your appreciation for the novel.

Directions: For each place listed below, write down all of the emotions/ideas that you feel it may represent.

1. the bunkhouse as a place of danger for Lennie

1. the clearing by the river as a place of peace

1. the harness room as a place of separation

1. the barn as a place of foreboding or uncertainty

Symbolism: Defining the Characters

A symbol is an object or action that stands for something else. After finishing Section 4, you have learned a great deal about each of the character’s personalities. In this assignment, demonstrate your understanding of one character through the use of symbolism (for example, choose an object that represents one aspect of your character). This activity asks you to apply your knowledge of symbolism and of the story.

Directions: Follow the steps below.

Step 1: Choose a character from the novel and write his/her name here: _________________________

Step 2: Consider this character’s personality and behavior. Which trait do you feel is the most important one? Write it here:

Step 3: Choose an object that represents the personality trait described above. Think outside the box. What object will you use to symbolize your character? Write it here:

Step 4: In the space below, describe how your object represents the character’s personality trait. You may use note form or use complete sentences. Write your explanation here:

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

3rd part:

Section 5 - Directions: Answer these questions in complete sentences.

1. What has Lennie done as the section opens?

1. What is Lennie’s fear?

1. What personal information does Curley’s wife reveal to Lennie in the barn?

1. To console Lennie over the death of his puppy, Curley’s wife tells him that he can get another one, that “the whole country is fulla mutts.” What is the significance of this line?

1. Why does Curley’s wife get angry when Lennie tells her that George said he shouldn’t talk to her?

1. What was Curley’s wife’s dream? She indicates that life with Curley is not what she wanted for herself.

1. Why does Curley’s wife offer to let Lennie stroke her hair?

1. Why does Curley’s wife become afraid of Lennie as he’s stroking her hair?

1. Why does Lennie kill Curley’s wife?

1. Why does Lennie leave Curley’s wife body in the barn, but take the puppy with him when he leaves to go to the river?

Thematic Analysis: Dreams

A theme is a general concept or idea, such as love, justice, or sorrow. One way to help you think of themes is to complete the following sentence: “This is a book about _____________________.” One of the major themes in Of Mice and Men is the elusiveness of dreams; several characters’ hopes have been dashed by the end of Section 5.

Directions: Identify the dream of each of the following characters, and explain how that dream is destroyed. Explain what you can learn from this at the bottom of the page.

George and Lennie

Dream:

How it dies:

Crooks

Dream:

How it dies:

Candy

Dream:

How it dies:

Curley’s Wife

Dream:

How it dies:

Lessons Learned

What message is the author giving the readers? Will anyone’s dream come to fruition? How do you feel after examining this rather depressing theme?

Section 6 - Directions: Answer these questions in complete sentences.

1. The novel ends where it began, in the clearing by the river. What is the atmosphere established by the description at the beginning of the final section?

1. What is the purpose of Aunt Clara’s appearance in Lennie’s mind’s eye?

1. What does Lennie fear his punishment will be?

1. Why does the giant rabbit appear to Lennie?

1. Why does George’s struggle with the description of the farm when Lennie asks him to recite it to him there, on the river bank?

1. What is Slim’s role at the end of the story?

1. What is the significance of Carlson asking George and Lennie had his gun and supplying the story that George wrestled the gun away from Lennie and shot him.

1. When George – obviously upset – and Slim go for a drink, Carlson remarks, “Now what the hell ya suppose is eatin’ them two guys?” Why doesn’t he understand?

Symbolism

Symbols, objects that represent other things, are significant literary elements; they become a type of shorthand for particular ideas or concepts in a piece of literature.

Directions: The following are recurring symbols in Of Mice and Men. Explain how the symbols are alike and what they represent.

1. the rabbits as symbols of George and Lennie’s dreams

1. the fate of Candy’s dog as a symbol of Lennie’s ultimate fate and human tragedy

1. the color red as a symbol of danger or trouble

1. the bunk house as a symbol of danger for Lennie

1. Curley’s wife as a symbol of women of the early twentieth century

Setting

There are six major scenes in Of Mice and Men, and each scene begins with an extended description of the setting, which establishes both a sense of place and of atmosphere.

Directions: Match the settings with the appropriate scene descriptions. Use some settings more than once.

the bunkhouse the harness room the barn the clearing by the river

___________________ 1. XXXXX XXXXXs up some beans for himself and Lennie.

___________________ 2. Curley’s wife threatens to get Crooks hanged.

___________________ 3. George shoots Lennie in the back of the head.

___________________ 4. Curley attacks Lennie.

___________________ 5. There are apple crates on the walls for shelves that are littered with personal items

and Western magazines.

___________________ 6. Lennie accidentally kills Curley’s wife.

___________________ 7. Crooks taunts Lennie about George’s well-being.

___________________ 8. The peaceful spot Lennie must go to if he gets in any sort of trouble.

___________________ 9. Whit shows Slim the published letter from Bill Tenner.

___________________ 10. Lennie attempts to cover the dead puppy with hay.

Pre-Reading Question Review

Directions: Take out the pre-reading questions that you filled out before you read Of Mice and Men. Often you study and learn, your beliefs change. They become stronger, weaker, or entirely different. It is a sign of wisdom and maturity to analyze new ideas carefully and decide which ones to add to your worldview. Therefore, you are returning to the questions you discussed before you read Of Mice and Men to determine what opinions, if any, have been affected by the book. Complete the chart below.

Pre-Reading Question

Answers Before Reading

Answers After Reading

Changes? Write yes or no

1. How does society treat people with mental handicaps?

1. How important is friendship in our lives?

1. Explain whether or not men continue to treat women as objects.

1. Define the American Dream.

1. Explain whether or not writers have a responsibility to address social concerns.

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a Moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can wait a little longer
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can wait
Expert:  Kjirsten replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this is a very long assignment. Would the stated amount be given for each part? If so, I can complete this for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No that is the total amount
Expert:  Kjirsten replied 2 years ago.
OK- I will opt out and allow another expert to help you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please can cel the question and issue me a refund. Thank you.