SusanAthena
SusanAthena, Master's Degree
Experience:  Published author, experienced editor, classroom teacher, tutor, grammar expert. Polished, professional writing.
12809769

THE READING AND WRITING PROCESS 10. Please read the following

Customer Question

THE READING AND WRITING PROCESS
10. Please read the following excerpt from an essay, and answer the question that follows.
After Sean was arrested for breaking into a pawnshop, I began to wonder. Why did some kids from my neighborhood end up in trouble while most of us didn't? I started out with a question: What causes young people to make bad choices? Now, after two years of research, I've arrived at the conclusion that there is no simple answer. There is no one reason why good kids go bad, but there are typical reasons.
According to my research, teenagers are most likely to get into trouble if they hang out with a bad crowd. That's because people learn their values from the people they associate with. So a very big reason for bad behavior is imitating one's peers. But there are other important factors as well. Kids who get in trouble are often school dropouts. Also, kids being raised by a single mother are more likely to get in trouble than kids raised in an intact family. Substance abuse also plays a role, especially when it comes to alcohol and legal or illegal drugs.
What method of organization is used by the writer?
A. Least-to-most
B. Chronological
C. Spatial
D. Most-to-least
11. Which of the following is a common error in composing a thesis statement?
A. You offer an original perspective on a familiar theme.
B. You focus your thesis statement after you begin writing.
C. Your thesis statement is specific as opposed to general.
D. Your thesis statement contains two or more central points.
12. Please read the following excerpt from an essay, and answer the question that follows. In the passage, the sentences are numbered to help you respond to the question.
(1) Biologically, adolescence is marked by hormonal changes that produce secondary sexual characteristics. (2) These include breast development in females and beard growth in males. (3) Psychologically however, adolescence is a concept that applies only to modern industrial societies. (4) In fact, in most preliterate or tribal societies, the modern American idea of adolescence simply does not exist. (5) In such societies, the social roles of adulthood are to be learned during childhood. (6) Then, around the time of biological puberty, a child becomes an adult through a ritual anthropologists call a rite of passage. (7) By contrast, in American society, adolescence amounts to a sort of social and cultural limbo. (8) Informally, the end of childhood is often marked by one's thirteenth birthday. The child is now a "teenager." (9) More formally, the end of adolescence is marked by legal strictures that vary irrationally. (10) In a given state the age of sexual consent may be 16 for girls and 18 for boys. (11) An 18-year-old may vote or enlist to die for his country, but, until he reaches age 21, he may not legally purchase alcoholic beverages.
In which sentence of the paragraph do you find a transitional word or phrase that shows a time connection?
A. Sentence 7
B. Sentence 4
C. Sentence 3
D. Sentence 6

13. In searching out the key elements as you read an essay, you're most likely to discover the author's support for his or her claims or ideas in the
A. conclusion.
B. introductory paragraph.
C. title.
D. body of the essay.
14. Please read the following excerpt from an essay, and answer the question that follows.
Biologically, adolescence is marked by hormonal changes that produce secondary sexual characteristics. These include breast development in females and beard growth in males. (Psychologically however, adolescence is a concept that applies only to modern industrial societies. In fact, in most preliterate or tribal societies, the modern American idea of adolescence simply does not exist. In such societies, the social roles of adulthood are to be learned during childhood. (Then, around the time of biological puberty, a child becomes an adult through a ritual anthropologists call a rite of passage. By contrast, in American society, adolescence amounts to a sort of social and cultural limbo. Informally, the end of childhood is often marked by one's thirteenth birthday. The child is now a "teenager." More formally, the end of adolescence is marked by legal strictures that vary irrationally. In a given state the age of sexual consent may be 16 for girls and 18 for boys. An 18-year-old may vote or enlist to die for his country, but, until he reaches age 21, he may not legally purchase alcoholic beverages.
In the paragraph, the thesis is best suggested
A. in sentences 1 and 3.
B. by what the reader decides about the actual nature of adolescence.
C. through an implied topic sentence.
D. in sentences 3 and 4.
Category: Writing Homework
Expert:  SusanAthena replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for your question!

My answers are below, for you to compare with your own.

Can you please check question 10 again?

thank you!

Susan

10. Are you sure this is the right paragraph? It's the same one from question 9 and none of the answers seem right.

11. d

12. d

13. d

14. d
Hi. Before you give a rating, please let me know if you need more information. For question 10, I'm really not sure it's the right paragraph to go with the choices.

However, if you've checked the paragraph and it's correct, then the best answer is d, most-to-least. The reason for this is that the writer says that teenagers are "most likely" to get into trouble if they hang out with a bad crowd. Therefore, this is being presented as the most important reason.

If you're happy with my answers, please give positive feedback. If not, please let me know how else I can assist.

Kind regards,
Susan