What are the basic functions of nonverbal cues? Provide example of each?
Thanks, alldayy. :) Here you are, and please let me know if you require anything different/more:
There are many different functions of non-verbal cues.
1) They duplicate or provide emphasis for verbal language, such as a head nod for “yes” or head shake for “no” while answering verbally at the same time.
2) They substitute for verbal language, such as the above head nod/shake instead of answering verbally.
3) It can complement verbal language, as when someone gives a fist pump when exclaiming, “that’s awesome!”
4) It regulates verbal communication, such as when someone looks at their watch during a conversation to indicate a need or desire to end the conversation.
5) It can contradict the verbal communication, as when someone says “fine” when asked how they’re doing, but indicates otherwise non-verbally. The listener and observer generally places more weight on the non-verbal cues.
6) It can indicate relationship. For instance, couples in a relationship stand close and touch each other frequently. Acquaintances observe greater distances physically. It can indicate cultural norms, such as how men and women in the U.S. and other countries interact differently with one another in platonic relationships (women hugging, men refraining from physical contact).
Teacher, Tutor, Grad Student, Writer, Research Pro