verbsrule
verbsrule, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  8 yrs teaching experience in English and history. Writing consultant.
44340502

VERBSRULE MODULE 5 DUE SATURDAY MARCH 7 Assignments: 1)

Customer Question

VERBSRULE

MODULE 5 DUE SATURDAY MARCH 7
Assignments:
1) Individual:
a) Weekly Journal
i) Each week, students are required to submit a reflection in an ongoing dialogue journal with the instructor of which portions may be used later in the e-Portfolio. The guidelines below should assist in this process.
ii) Your entry should be a minimum of 150-200 words.
iii) Answer the following questions:
(1) What are the key points in the reading?
(2) Based upon your experience in education, how might you apply this content to a classroom and instruction?
iv) APA format is not required, but solid writing skill in APA style and a title page are expected.
b) Compare and Contrast Chart and Paper
i) Using a table chart, compare and contrast Maslow's hierarchy of needs theory with Skinner's behaviorist theory by addressing the following:
(1) How motivation is defined.
(2) How motivation changes for elementary versus secondary students.
(3) How the theories are similar and/or different.
(4) List at minimum three ways that each can be applied in the classroom.
ii) The chart should encompass the body of the paper. Be sure to include an introduction, a conclusion, and a References section for citations to support your chart.
iii) APA format is not required, but solid writing skill in APA style and a title page are expected.
Category: Writing Homework
Expert:  verbsrule replied 2 years ago.

verbsrule :

Hi there. I will have this ready for you on Saturday. Thanks so much!

verbsrule :

I'm going to switch out of chat so that it will be easier for you to see any posts I make. Also, please send me the module lecture when you have a chance.

verbsrule, Bachelor's Degree
Experience: 8 yrs teaching experience in English and history. Writing consultant.
Expert:  verbsrule replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  verbsrule replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. The question timed out, but I am still taking care of this one for you. Be sure to send me the lecture/resources as soon as you can.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hey sorry I put March 7th but I ment April 7th .....her is the lecture.

Motivation and Affect

Introduction

What motivates students to open the textbook and start reading? Perhaps it is an upcoming exam on the topic or just some assigned reading. Regardless of the response, the study of motivation is largely the result of Abraham Maslow. This lecture details his history and philosophy, which has had a significant impact on psychology today.

Theory

One of the many interesting things Maslow (1968) noticed while he worked with monkeys early in his career was that some needs take precedence over others. For example, between hunger and thirst, there is a tendency to take care of thirst first since a body can go without food for weeks, but it can go without water for only a few days. He concluded that thirst is a stronger need than hunger. Maslow took this idea and created his now famous hierarchy of needs. Beyond the details of air, water, food, and sex, he laid out five broader layers: the physiological needs (oxygen, water, protein, salt, sugar, calcium, and other minerals and vitamins), the needs for safety and security, the needs for love and belonging, the needs for esteem, and the need to actualize the self, in that order.

In terms of overall development, people move through these levels a bit like stages. As newborns, the focus is on the physiological. Soon, infants begin to recognize the need to be safe. Soon after that, they crave attention and affection. A bit later, they look for self-esteem. All of this occurs within the first couple of years.

Under stressful conditions, or when survival is threatened, a person can regress to a lower need level. This can occur on a society-wide basis as well. When society suddenly flounders, people start clamoring for a strong leader to take over and make things right. When a society is attacked, it looks for safety; when food stops coming in, the needs become even more basic.

Maslow suggests asking people for their philosophy of the future, i.e. what would their ideal life or world look like, and get good information as to what needs they do or do not have covered.

If a person has significant problems with development, such as a period of extreme insecurity or hunger as a child, or the loss of a family member through death or divorce, or significant neglect or abuse, he or she may fixate on that set of needs throughout life. This is Maslow's understanding of neurosis.

Self-Actualization

This last level is a bit different. Maslow (1968) has used a variety of terms to refer to this level. He has called it growth motivation, being needs or B-needs, and self-actualization.

These are needs that do not involve balance or homeostasis. Once engaged, they continue to be felt. In fact, they are likely to become stronger as they are fed. They involve the continuous desire to fulfill potentials, to be all that you can be. They are a matter of becoming the most complete, the fullest you.

Now, in keeping with his theory up to this point, a person who wishes to become self-actualized must have the lower needs met, at least to a considerable extent. When lower needs are not fully met, epople cannot devote themselves to fulfilling potentials. With the world as difficult as it is, Maslow (1968) believes and suggests that only about 2% of society may meet the criteria.

The question now becomes, what does Maslow mean by self-actualization. In order to answer this he identified characteristics of self-actualizers. He did this by using a qualitative method called biographical analysis. He began by picking out a group of people, some historical figures, some people he knew, whom he felt met the standard of self-actualization. Included in this group were the likes of Lincoln, Jefferson, Einstein, Roosevelt, Adams, and others. He looked at their biographies, writings, acts, and words, and from this he developed a list of qualities that seemed characteristic of this group.

These people were reality-centered, which means they could differentiate what is fake and dishonest from what is real and genuine. They were problem-centered, meaning they treated life's difficulties as problems demanding solutions instead of personal issues, or troubles to be railed at or surrendered to. They had a different perception of means and ends. They felt that the ends do not justify the means, that the means could be ends themselves, and that the means, or the journey, was often more important than the destination.

Motivation in the Education Setting

In the educational world, anything that energizes, directs, and sustains behavior in school is referred to as motivation; this is largely due to Maslow's work. Virtually all students are motivated in one way or another, and it can be influenced by environmental factors. Motivation has several effects on learning and behavior in and out of the classroom setting. The list below provides some of those which will have an impact on student learning:

It directs toward particular goals: If learning is meaningful it will impact motivation.

It increases effort and energy: It will determine whether or not students will pursue it or not.

Task persistence: Most students will begin a task they actually would like to do.

It enhances cognitive processing: Students are more likely to pay attention and process information into long-term memory.

It determines the consequences for behavior: The more they are motivated, the more likely they are to avoid negative behaviors.

It always leads to increased performance: Students who are the most motivated will tend to be the highest achievers (Brophy, 1988).

In motivation, people are driven by forces that are either intrinsic or extrinsic in nature, that is, internal or external to the self. Covington and Mueller's 2001 research demonstrates that people are most likely to see beneficial effects with internal motivation over external. Unfortunately, this intrinsic motivation appears to decline over the course of one's school career (Covington & Mueller, 2001).

Students differ in the extent to which they desire and actively seek out relationships with others for approval (Kupersmidt, Buchele, Voegler, & Sedikides, 1996). This is referred to as the need for affiliation and will often be reflected in school by the choices that are made. For many, this may be the sole source reasoning for coming to school. Educators' responsibility then turns to providing the opportunities for students to interact with each other with a productive educational outcome. Some of this may be best accomplished by group collaborations such as discussions, debates, role-playing, and even competitions among teams, all of which allow for affiliation while simultaneously acquiring new learning and skills (Brophy, 1987).

A general partner to motivation is affect (the feelings, emotions, and general moods that a student brings into the classroom). How students feel in the school setting is largely the result of whether their needs are being met and their goals are being accomplished. This is another good reason to include students in the plans for the classes they are taking or will take (Hartner, Whitesell, & Junkin, 1988).

Anxiety can improve performance but too much can have negative impact and significantly interfere with learning. In adolescence, some of those factors that can have a challenging impact may be some of the following:

Physical appearance.

New situations.

Evaluations by peers.

School material too difficult for success.

Excessive classroom demands.

An educator's responsibility will be to maintain levels of anxiety at reasonable levels in the classroom setting.

CONCLUSION:

Different theories of development and personality are applicable to motivation as well. In the trait theory, the focus is on enduring personality characteristics. In the behaviorist theory, motivation is primarily affected by reinforcing outcomes or avoiding negative outcomes. The social cognitive theory's primary focus is on the goals people work toward as reflected by their choices. The cognitive theory supports how mental processes affect what people do. It attempts to make sense of the world and establish a homeostatic relationship.

Educators are more likely to motivate children and adolescents' if instruction strategies take their existing motives into account. In an ideal world, students would find the classroom exciting, fascinating, and satisfying. If they do not have such intrinsic motivation, educators need to provide the means to relate it to real world experiences for them.

REFERENCES:

Brophy, J. E. (1987). Synthesis of research on strategies for motivating students to learn. Educational Leadership, 45(2), 40-48.

Covington, M. V., & Mueller, K. J. (2001). Intrinsic versus extrinsic motivation: An approach/avoidance reformulation. Educational Psychology Review, 13, 157-176.

Hartner, S., Whitesell, N. R.,& Junkin, L. J. (1988). Similarities and differences in domain-specific and global self-evaluations of learning-disabled, behaviorally disordered, and normally achieving adolescents. American Research Journal, 35, 653-680.

Kupersmidt, J. B., Buchele, K. S., Voegler, M. E., & Sedikides, C. (1996). Social self-discrepancy: A theory relating to peer relation problems and school maladjustment. In J. Juvonen & K. R. Wentzel (Eds.), Social motivation: Understanding children's school adjustment (pp. 66-97). Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press.

Maslow's works Toward a Psychology of Being (1968), Motivation and Personality (first edition, 1954, and second edition, 1970), and The Further Reaches of Human Nature (1971).

Expert:  verbsrule replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!!
Expert:  verbsrule replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Here's the journal: http://www.box.com/s/5ea88797058af3bc89db

I'm running late, so it might be after midnight before I finish this.
Expert:  verbsrule replied 2 years ago.
This one was tough, and I'm concerned that much of the info that is needed is from the textbook. Please be sure to consult the text as well.

http://www.box.com/s/53c27a824a8f9da0b2cf

Have a great weekend!

Gwyn
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hey I just got a e-mail about MODULE 4 (last week) it said:

Greetings ,
Thank you for writing such an excellent paper. You did an excellent job describing the various learning styles and providing examples for each; however, you did not include your lesson plans. You needed to use the lesson plan template and submit three lesson plans in order to receive full credit for this assignment. Thank you for your hard work.

Did you submitt lesson plans? Did I over look them?

Expert:  verbsrule replied 2 years ago.
I did not. Based on the assignment details, I thought I was to find them, not write them. Did you send me the template? I can finish those up tomorrow morning. Will that be OK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I did send them but I will resend them to make sure you have them. Thanks

This is the part that was missing:

iii) Provide three different lesson plans with one activity that addresses each perspective that you provided in your paper.

EEI Lesson Plan Template

Client Organization: Telephone:

Main Contact: Fax: _________________________________________________

Email Address: Date: May 14, 2009 VITAL INFORMATION

Author

*Subject(s)

Topic or Unit of Study

*Grade/Level

*Summary

STANDARDS AND DIFFERENTIATED INSTRUCTION:

*Standards

Differentiated

Instruction

EEI (ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS OF INSTRUCTION) - LESSON PLAN ELEMENTS REQUIRED:

Objective

Anticipatory Set

Teach Lesson / Model

Guided Practice

Not sure if you can understand this temp. but any one will do. she is just as example that we could use.

Expert:  verbsrule replied 2 years ago.
Which state's standards should I use? Also, what grade level?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is elementry level and I live in Ga
Expert:  verbsrule replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I'm working on these now.
Expert:  verbsrule replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Here's the first one: http://www.box.com/s/075f3c35c3899ad6cc70 I'm going to try and finish the others tonight, but it might not be until in the morning before I do. I will do my best to get them to you tonight though.
Expert:  verbsrule replied 2 years ago.
Here's the second one: http://www.box.com/s/de02323fc4ef053270a3

I will have to finish the last one in the morning.

Expert:  verbsrule replied 2 years ago.
Here's the last one:

http://www.box.com/s/a22fb322aa9681c6ab82

Let me know if you need anything else.