Chelles45
Chelles45, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Degree in Criminal Justice Administration
64850215

When you are served with a supeana are you paid before or after

When you are served with a supeana are you paid before or after your court date?

Chelles45 :

In a criminal case, if you are not a party in the case, then you will be reimbursed for travel costs and paid a witness fee after the trial. In a ci

Chelles45 :

In a civil case, the person or entity that is requesting the subpoena should pay the fee when you are served the subpoena.

Customer:

What I am trying to find out is, if I really have to go to court. The reason why I am questioning it is because I was supeaned before and I talked with my lawyer and he said just as long as they did not give you a 50 dollar check with your supeana you do not have to go? This is what it is called right a supeana?

If you have received a formal subpoena then you are required to appear whether you have received payment. You can postpone if needed by talking with the attorney requesting the subpoena. Also you can refuse to answer questions if they are incriminating to you. You also can only answer questions about situations/ information that you have personal knowledge of.