verbsrule
verbsrule, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  8 yrs teaching experience in English and history. Writing consultant.
44340502

Is it correct to use a semi-colon in the following sentence:

Is it correct to use a semi-colon in the following sentence: George C. Edwards is also saying by writing this book that it is for that reason that George W. Bush tried to become more popular with the majority and get public opinion on his side by means of campaigning; however, despite George W. Bush's efforts, George W. Bush failed to get the majority of the people and public opinion on his side.
Hi there. It is correct. However, the first part of the sentence before the semicolon is very confusing. I would break that up into two parts and say something like:

In writing this book, Edwards makes the claim that George Bush attempted to gain the majority's support and improve public opinion through campaigning efforts; however, in spite of these efforts, Bush failed to achieve either.

Let me know what you think. I can whip up some other options for you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's very good. I was able to find my paper and this was the sentence where my professor said I was wrong to use a semi-colon and where I argued with him and he said he knew best because his wife was a Language Arts teacher. Do you remember when I asked you a question about this matter before? Now that I found the paper and had the exact sentence, that is why I wanted your opinion concerning the exact sentence. Thank you very much for your assistance.
You're very welcome. You had the correct usage. :-)
Thank you so very much for the bonus and the feedback. I can't tell you how much that means to me.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You give outstanding service. You're welcome.
:-)