Michael
Michael, Wedding Consultant
Experience:  Professional Wedding Consultant
70951075

Based on your experience in wedding planning, what are the

Hello based on your experience in wedding planning, what are the things to watch for that could go wrong the day of the wedding. ( florist late, guests getting drunk, etc) and what precautions would you recommend.
i am asking here for an itemized list of whatever you can think of, along with your suggestions on how to deal with the situation or avoid it in the first place.i am planning a small wedding (75-100 people) . church is quite small and can barely accommodate this number, then dinner reception at the terrace of a restaurant (open air) . wedding date is july 7i am also looking for ways to get the best of our modest budget so here are a couple of things I'm considering:- the restaurant owner is a friend, offered the terrace for free but will have to pay for waiting staff and bar. thinking of buying alcohol in bulk, to just pay for staff.- florist : planning on buying flowers in bulk and hiring a freelance florist to do the arrangements.would appreciate your thoughts on the above and your contribution as also other money saving ideas .i am sorry for the loaded question, I dearly need some guidance here.

Good evening Tony,

Congratulations first on your big day coming up. Lots to prepare for and it sounds like you have in terms of organizing a small wedding.

Never like to think what could go wrong on a wedding day as this should be the most wonderful time in your life. Thinking though of what could go wrong includes what you stated above (late arriving guests and professionals taking care of things such as flowers and food). How to prepare is important just in case these things happen. Start with having someone you can trust in your wedding party to be in constant contact with the florist as well as any musical group and food service to be sure all are on-time and know where to go. You have too much to prepare for and having someone you can trust do the work ahead of time will cause little to no disruption to the events that day.

Great that you are having reception at a local restaurant that a friend is offering their services. Buying the alcohol in bulk is a smart idea as the restaurant pricing will be much higher than doing the purchasing yourself. Check this calculator to get an idea of the cost involved:

http://www.thealcoholcalculator.com/

Look at places such as Costco for example that you can purchase in bulk at the lowest cost available.

As for the flowers, again great idea as a freelance florist can do the work for much less than a more expensive one can. Work within a budget and stick to that as the florist should be able to offer suggestions on flowers that are lower in price in the summer season.

Best to you for the wedding as it sounds like everything is ready to go and without any problems.

I hope that this information was found useful as please inform me of any additional questions/concerns you have. Also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful today.

Take care,

Michael

Take care,

Michael

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Michael and thank you for your input. I am actually looking to build a checklist of things to help me manage the whole project. It is not that I am being pessimistic in my thinking, it is just that along the way starting from the early phases of planning till D day, there will be a lot of things that I have not thought of or prepared for to start with. There are also some measures or specific agreements that needs to be made with different parties to ensure that the delivery is exactly what has been agreed upon, because i will have only one chance to make this right the first time. therefore, i am looking to make 2 lists per se, one list of "to do" and another one of what " not to do".
i hope this clarifies.

Completely understand as you want to make sure everything is covered. Again, don't feel that you have to do this alone as having someone else you can trust to work along side is always a good idea as to catch something you might miss. From contract fine print to setting up with vendors, this extra help is always useful.

As for a checklist, here are some useful ones I would suggest using:

1. Printable DIY checklist:

http://blog.myweddingreceptionideas.com/2015/02/printable-wedding-planning-checklist.html

2. This list breaks things down by month:

http://www.herecomestheguide.com/wedding-party-ideas/detail/the-guide-brides-wedding-checklist

Take care,

Michael