The1Caretaker
The1Caretaker, Clergy
Experience:  Social behavior & etiquette advisor and professional instructor
1604863

My daughter and son-in-law were married in early May. My husband

Customer Question

My daughter and son-in-law were married in early May. My husband and I paid for their wedding and pretty much every one of our family and friends that we wanted to invite were included.
My son and soon to be daughter-in-law are getting married in October. They are paying for it, refuse to accept extensive help and do not want to invite many of those included in the earlier wedding. How to I act when I see these people again, given that they may assume that they are included in this second wedding?
Category: Wedding
Expert:  The1Caretaker replied 1 year ago.
There is really no reason for others to think you're involved with another wedding just because you hosted the first. However, since you're concerned about this, you must know the mind set of certain individuals.
You can always keep it simple and if the event is brought up mention that you offered to help, but the couple is of their own mind so you'll have the pleasure of being a "guest" this time around and you look forward to it. After that, any further questions should be answered with a polite, "I don't know", it fits just about all questions that are uncomfortable.
Then, difficult as it may be, stand back, be available for helping, but let them do their own thing.
You're going to be fine.