Renee
Renee, Wedding Consultant
Experience:  I have been a Bridal Consultant, and a Wedding Planner. I own a flower & cake decorating shop

How long in advance can I make a cake, with buttercream icing,

How long in advance can I make a cake, with buttercream icing, and marshmallow fondant? How do I store it; in the fridge, on the counter, coverd, uncovered, etc.?
Category: Wedding
Expert:  Renee replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer- Thank you for using Just Answer.

I make cakes for a living so I can definitely help you out here!

If your cake has a fruit filling, you MUST refrigerate it until the day of the wedding and take it out at the last minute whether you use butter cream or marshmallow fondant. You can transport it and then put it back in the refrigerator or at least in a cool area. Butter cream is less forgiving in the heat than the marshmallow fondant, but they are both subject to being destroyed by heat. Do not place them outside or in the sun as they will melt!

Here is what I do: I bake my cakes on Monday or Tuesday for a Saturday wedding.
After they have cooled, I wrap them in paper towels and press and seal or saran wrap and leave them on the counter overnight to settle. Then I put them in the refrigerator until I am ready to fill them and ice them which is on Friday. If there is no filling, you can decorate them and leave them on the counter until the wedding as long as the area is cool. I would cover them if there are pets around so you don't get any hair or foreign objects in the icing, but once butter cream and marshmallow fondant "crust", they are good to go on the counter until Saturday. Good Luck and thank you for using Just Answer!

P.S. You can freeze the baked, unfilled, un-iced cakes for up to 3 months, but they have to be covered with saran wrap and aluminum foil and placed in air tight containers while in the freezer and then you have to let them defrost for at least 24 hours on the counter before you can do much with them. Renee

Renee

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok, so since you make cakes, let me just make sure I am doing this right. The wedding is friday, it is a small ceremony so the cake will be small. Can you tell me the steps to make it.....this is what I got so far. Thursday, the day before wedding I Make the cake....let it cool....trim it and cut it to my perfect square....but a thin coat of buttercream icing.....stick in the fridge for a little while.....take out and put more buttercream icing.....stick back in fridge for a while....take out....put marshmallow fondant........and leave on counter till friday, uncovered....

IF you have any other suggestions, or is I am not supposed to put it in the fridge, I really appreciate your help

Expert:  Renee replied 5 years ago.
Hi evanj77 - I would cook the cakes on Wednesday and wrap each layer in paper towels and let them sit on the counter over night until Thursday so that they settle. On Thursday, level them, fill them, and stick them in the fridge for a while, then take them out and put on the marshmallow fondant and decorate and leave overnight until the wedding. On Thursday, leave them in the fridge until you have rolled out the marshmallow fondant and then just lightly spritz the cake with water all around, lay the fondant on top and it will stick better! There is no need for a second coat of butter cream unless you just want a second coat for taste. Good Luck and have a wonderful wedding! Renee
Renee, Wedding Consultant
Experience: I have been a Bridal Consultant, and a Wedding Planner. I own a flower & cake decorating shop
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
great thank you