How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Tanya Your Own Question

Tanya, Wedding Coordinator
Category: Wedding
Satisfied Customers: 89
Experience:  I've been a wedding coordinator for 16 years and have helped numerous couples with questions.
Type Your Wedding Question Here...
Tanya is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am marrying an egyptian man i am british when i arrive in ...

Customer Question

i am marrying an egyptian man i am british when i arrive in cario how long does this take to sort out paperwork
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Wedding
Expert:  Tanya replied 9 years ago.
Below is the information you will need. This information is geared toward a US citizen, but it should be close to what you would need. Contact the Egyptian Consultate to find out exactly what you might need. I hope this information will be helpful for you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Egyptian Consulate

Marriage in Egypt is a civil ceremony performed at the local marriage court. If you want to marry in Egypt, you will need the following documents:

Proof that you can marry (divorce or death certificates)
proof that both parties are free to marry
no-objection statement from the both parties
application forms to be completed at the marriage court
The American citizen must file a I-130 immigrant visa petition for his/her spouse. The spouse of the American citizens are not subjected to any annual limitations, meaning that the person do not need to wait until their priority date becomes current before their immigrant visa is processed.

Upon approval, they will immediately be sent a list of documents needed to apply for an immigrant visa. The spouse will then inform the Consulate that they have secured all the documents on the list, and they will be scheduled for an interview.

If a US citizen visits the country of his/her fiancé(e) and decided to marry, call the US Consulate and find out if you could do Direct Consular Filing. The Consulate will mail you any information about the processing.

Upon receipt of the information, gather all your documents and apply directly at the US Consulate. When the Consulate receives your paperwork, they will schedule the interview and medical exam.

Once the interview is successful, the applicant will be issued an immigrant visa which allows the alien to enter the US as an immigrant. On your Port of Entry, you will receive a stamp on your passport quoting that you are a permanent resident of the US. The stamp is good until you receive the actual green card. Your class definition will be "CR-1" (Conditional Permanent Resident) and "IR" if you are a permanent resident without conditions (married over 2 years). The CR-1 must apply for the I-751 within the 90 days period before the green card expires.

You can apply for your Social Security card with this stamp and do not need to apply for advance parole in travelling outside the US.

Get more information at 9 Fam Part IV, Appendix N, 200 Visa Petition

Please note that not all consulates allow this kind of processing (example, Canada). Check with the consulate abroad to see if a Direct Consular Filing is allowed and what proceedures are needed in filing your I-130 petition.


Some marriages abroad are always performed by a civil or religious officials. Consular Officers may authenticate foreign marriage documents. The embassy or tourist information bureau of that country in which the marriage is to be performed is your best source of information about marriage. Marriages abroad are subject to the residency requirements of the country in which the marriage will be performed. There is always a waiting period.

Most countries requires:

Valid U.S. passport
Birth certificates
Divorce papers
Death certificates
Other countries require that the documents presented to the registrar to be authenticated in the United States by a consular official of that country. The process is time consuming & expensive. Civil law countries require proof of legality to enter into a marriage contract in the form of certification that no obstruction exists to the marriage. No such document exists in the United States. Unless the foreign authorities will allow such a statement to be executed before one of their consular officials in the United States, it will be necessary for the couple to a prospective marriage abroad to execute an affidavit at the American Embassy or Consulate in the country where the wedding will take place stating that they are free to marry. It is called an affidavit of eligibility to marry. Other countries may require witnesses who will sign the affidavits that both parties are free to marry. Many countries including the United States require blood tests.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland
  • He answered my question promptly and gave me accurate, detailed information. If all of your experts are half as good, you have a great thing going here. Diane Dallas, TX

Meet The Experts:

  • Timea Varga-Kovacs

    Timea Varga-Kovacs

    Wedding Planner

    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a wedding planner since 2007 and I happily answer to Your questions.
< Last | Next >
  • Timea Varga-Kovacs's Avatar

    Timea Varga-Kovacs

    Wedding Planner

    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a wedding planner since 2007 and I happily answer to Your questions.
  • Michael's Avatar


    Wedding Consultant

    Satisfied Customers:

    Professional Wedding Consultant
  • MrsAdrainaP's Avatar


    Wedding/Event Planner

    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a certified Wedding & Event planner through the Wedding Planning Institute with over 7 years of experience.
  • Weddings Tam's Avatar

    Weddings Tam

    Wedding Planner

    Satisfied Customers:

    4 years Wedding and Event Planner
  • atexp1's Avatar


    Wedding Coordinator

    Satisfied Customers:

    Wedding Planner
  • /img/opt/shirt.png HZ_expert's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    test wed descr
  • /img/opt/shirt.png sanity-expert's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: