Renee, Wedding Consultant
Experience:  I have been a Bridal Consultant, and a Wedding Planner. I own a flower & cake decorating shop

Is it rude to not attend the wedding that you have been ...

Customer Question

Is it rude to not attend the wedding that you have been invited to because you don't want to go, and then show up at the sit down dinner reception that you were also invited to?
Category: Wedding
Expert:  Renee replied 10 years ago.

A Wedding is a Celebration of Two People Deciding to Share Their Life As One. The ceremony usually only takes 10 to 20 minutes unless it is a Catholic Mass or Jewish Ceremony. It is extremely improper to go to the sit down reception if you did not go to the ceremony. The sit down dinner is a way for the couple to thank the guests that attended their ceremony and be able to mingle and chat with them after the ceremony. If you are going to miss one of the events - go to the ceremony and leave before the sit down dinner. If you R.S.V P.'d to the reception - it is because the bride and her family need a head count for the amount of food to serve. You should definately honor an R.S.V.P. - otherwise, the family wastes money and food on those who do not attend. If you are good friends with the bride or groom or even both, what is 15 - 60 minutes out of your day to celebrate their special day? If you don't go to the ceremony and just show up for the sit down dinner, it makes you look extremely rude and uncaring and can cause hard feelings with your friends, the new couple. Please just bite the bullet and attend both as a grand gesture of faith, friendship and good fortune for the future couple and they will be delighted you came to both events.

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. I hope this answer is helpful to you. It may not be what you wanted to hear, but it is the best way to handle this situtation. Please hit the accept button and please leave feedback for me and I will do the same for you. Renee