Deborah
Deborah, Event Planning
Experience:  Family owns restaurant & catering business for 40 years. Family owned bridal gown stores.
761613

how do I make fondant or gum paste bamboo for a cake

handmade suger bamboo. made from rolled fondant or gumpaste. used to decorate cake
Category: Wedding
Expert:  Deborah replied 8 years ago.

Fondant is a sugar syrup that is crystallized to a smooth, creXXXXX XXXXX mass and is used for both icing cakes and cake decorations. The cooked Fondant (European Fondant) is quite difficult to make but is the best Fondant recipe around due to its elasticity and smoothness.

European Fondant is made by boiling sugar, water and glucose to 240°F. It is then poured onto a marble slap and sprinkle with some water to prevent crystallization. Once the syrup has cooled down to 110°F, start to work the sugar with a steel scraper, folding it onto itself. Do not attempt to work it before it cooled to 110°F or it will become tough and coarse. After a while it will start turning white. Work the fondant until it is smooth and creamy. It may take well over 40 minutes to achieve the right consistency. Once smooth and creamy store in an airtight container for later use. European Fondant should NOT be attempted by inexperienced pastry chefs without the appropriate supervision, as you may burn yourself badly.

European Fondant is not rolled fondant. Fondant originates from "fondre" - to melt and is a soft creamy preparation of sugar, water, and flavoring
Here is a quick recipe:

2/3 c. or 1/2 can Condensed Milk
1/2 c. butter, creamed
1 tsp. salt
5 1/2 c. icing sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Cream butter. Add condensed milk, salt, then add icing sugar gradually.   Mix, then pour onto a baking board and knead with hands until smooth. You may divide and color and flavor each section as you wish.

http://www.candylandcrafts.com/fondant-making.htm
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Deborah's Post: I have a recipe for fondant , what I need to know is step by step instructions on how to shape it to look like BAMBOO
Expert:  Deborah replied 8 years ago.
Ok, my family owns several restaurants, I will ask the pastry chef. Check back. I know he did a tropical cake for a wedding. I will have it within an hour. I am in CA and they are in NY.
Expert:  Deborah replied 8 years ago.
Use the fondant recipe you prefer.

Divide the fondant into three batches. Two large and on small.

Color one green, one yellow and one brown with food coloring to the desired shadeof your preference. (bamboo can be green or yellow and you will use the brown to make the markings on the stalk. If yo can not find brown food coloring, you will have to mix red, orange & a dop of blue. You will need to experiment with that) Your small batch will be the brown fondant.

When you have the desired color, roll the fondant flat with a marble rolling pin (if you have one) Roll the flattened fondant using oyur hands to create the bamboo stalks, making them as thick and as long as you wish.

If you have a granite or marble counter top, that would be perfect to do the rolling on. Even if your counter top is formica, but anything except tile-- you could lightly spray the surace with Pam to avoid sticking.

After you have roled your stalks, roll the brown fondant between your fingers to make long thing rolled strips, which you will decorate your stalks with to give the appearance of the actual stalk. Press the brown gently on.

When you are finished place them on a tray, covered with saran wrap into the fridge to firm up.

Sorry, it took so long to answer. The pastry chef that had the answer was out this morning at a dentist appointment and did not return to the restaurant until this evening.

He said to think "kindergarten" and "play-dough" as this is not rocket science. He said it sounds harder than it is, but if you think back to when you oplayed with clay or play dough, this should be a breeze. (easy for him to say, huh! lol)

Please let me know if you have questions. I tried to describe this as best as I could.
Deborah, Event Planning
Experience: Family owns restaurant & catering business for 40 years. Family owned bridal gown stores.