Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

I have a 2004 Volkswagen Touareg with a V8 engine it is not

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Volkswagen Touareg with a V8 engine it is not passing smog every possible error code that could come up came up my car is running like s*** when I'm at a red stop light it just jumps around it idling very high and running very rich I don't know what to do I'm beginning to believe that my gasoline engine is part of the diesel scandal with VW what do I do
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just know that they're going to find that it's not only with the Diesels regarding the VW Scandal that it's with the gasoline engines as well I've had more mechanics tell me that I need an answer I paid for it I want to hear it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Ok, first, what are the error codes? There are over 500 fault codes, so it is impossible to help without knowing the specific codes

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay the first error code is p0021 P0171 PO174 po300 po301 po302 po303 po304 po305 po306 po308 po421 po431
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do not call me let's just continue the texting
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

ok, bear with me typing this all out for these codes as I have Parkinson;'s and type a bit slow

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No continue typing I'm not going to pay 26 more dollars just to talk to you let's just continue communicating this way
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

Ok, you have misfires in 7 out of 8 cylinders(p03xx codes), a lean condition in both banks(P0171 and 174 codes), and catalytic converter faults for both banks(p0421 and 431 codes), plus timing over advanced in bank 2(p0021).

The converter codes are likely due to the others that have caused the converters to burn out due to the overly lean conditions and will need to be replaced

All the other codes may be as a result of the P0021 code as overly advanced cam timing will cause misfires as well as lean conditions.

So this is the starting place. The timing needs to be inspected to see if it has jumped a tooth and reset if needed. If timing is good, then the vvt cam actuators, solenoids and sensors will need to be tested and replaced as needed.

At that point, all the codes need to be erased and test driven and see if any return. I suspect that it will just be the converter codes, which would mean they need to be replaced at that point.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How much money are we talking about
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

It depends on what is found on the P0021 code. You can be looking at from $300 for a cam sensor parts and labor up to $1200 to reset the timing chains

For the converters, even with aftermarket parts, you are looking at around $700 parts and labor per converter and there are 2

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
assuming I don't have that kind of money to fix this piece of s*** car what would you do with your advice to me
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Not sure of your state's laws and waivers, but the 2 reasonable choices would be to either obtain a 1 yr waiver if your state allows for that and spend the next year saving and repairing it, or sell as is/trade in at this point.

If the rest of the vehicle is in great shape and is low mileage, then obtaining a waiver would be best option, but if high mileage and other issues with the vehicle, then if it were mine, I would cut my losses at this point and trade it in

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay Eric let me ask you this until I can save up the money to fix it what can I do to keep my car running smooth because I need my car right now you know I forgot to mention something behind the engine underneath the hood behind the engine there's this guy that keeps coming to scan it it keeps coming disconnected from this hose that it looks like it's supposed to go into could that be something
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Possibly related. If you can take a photo of it and use the paperclip icon on your reply box toolbar to upload it, it would help as I could identify it and what relation if any to the current issues.

There isnt much you can do to get it to run smoothly without fully repairing. Mechanical problems such as your vehicle is having require a mechanical repair to resolve it. you could try a higher octane fuel, but I dont believe it will make much if any difference

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Eric I just sent you the pictures did you get them. As you notice in the pictures I am holding that hose that appears that it should be connected to something but I can't see that far back but it is loose and it's obviously supposed to be connected to something please let me know I'm getting very anxious thank you
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

sorry, no pictures came thru. try again or you can upload to a free site such as dropbox and attach link to here for me

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay what is the email address I send the pictures to
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

ok, will be standing by

Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Ok, I believe that may be a vacuum line to the pcv valve, but I need to check the schematics. While I am doing that, crank the engine and with it idling, place your finger over the end of the vacuum line and see if it idles smoother or if the engine dies, or no difference and let me know.

This may be alot of the issues

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner my family came over yes the car runs a lot smoother it doesn't make that that slapping sound when I start it
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Ok, that either goes to the pcv valve or part of the combi valve. the plastic engine top cover will need to come off to reconnect it and check to see if the port it connects to is broken and repair as needed to make sure it doesnt come off again

Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

Unless you have any question about this, please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.